454 MPI advance timing issue >

454 MPI advance timing issue

Notices

454 MPI advance timing issue

Old 08-27-2020, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by jevonlau
will it hurt to run it if I get it turned off?
No, it is a test the ECM does to check to see if its working. It will still detect a knock (if the motor has one) with a code 43. Your just turning off the test. Merc no longer has this test being done by any ECM/PCM

I tuned mine off last year

Edit: should say it will detect a knock if the knock sensor and module is working

Last edited by AllDodge; 08-27-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Here is the original coil... lol. I just got a new one since this one looks like it’s had much better days. Could this be one of my issues? Maybe under load it’s not working properly? It appears my base timing is set correctly with TDC and plug 1 with 8 deg on service mode
Did you replace with a genuine Merc for your application? If not aftermarkets have been known to cause ignition system issues down the road. Maybe not what you're experiencing now but others.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 11:49 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
Did you replace with a genuine Merc for your application? If not aftermarkets have been known to cause ignition system issues down the road. Maybe not what you're experiencing now but others.
For people’s info, some AcDelco coils and most all aftmkt fon’t come with the bracket. You havevto drill out rivets from old coil and bolt onto new replacement coil which usually don’t come with the bolts either.

AcDelco D560 comes with the bracket.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D560-Original-Equipment-Ignition/dp/B0013FW7VQ? https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D560-Original-Equipment-Ignition/dp/B0013FW7VQ?

Old 08-27-2020, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Disagree again,
My repower by a well known OSO member is a MEFI 3 and had the code 44 show up. Don't know how certain you can be that it is not from high octane. I also cannot say its from the gas, BUT (the big but) you can not get a code that is not programmed into the ECM. If it is turned OFF then it will not show up

It is showing up, so it IS programmed
I was surprised to read your statement and didn't believe it to be accurate so I just glanced at a mefi3 stock tune, sure enough "no knock" detected flag 44, I wonder though IF the ecu has a protocol on a mefi3 to "force knock" as a test? I think Ill be turning it OFF on everything in the future, Smitty
The following users liked this post:
jevonlau (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 485 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I was surprised to read your statement and didn't believe it to be accurate so I just glanced at a mefi3 stock tune, sure enough "no knock" detected flag 44, I wonder though IF the ecu has a protocol on a mefi3 to "force knock" as a test? I think Ill be turning it OFF on everything in the future, Smitty
Have been running without issue since I turned it off. I have had to fill with 93 (only other was 87) and there has been no issue.

On a side note, found out how to mix, so I've been doing a 50/50 of 87/93 to get 90
The following 2 users liked this post by AllDodge:
articfriends (08-27-2020), jevonlau (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tractionless
no it was a Sierra marine replacement IC module. I put the factory one back on and both rode the same....
Old 09-13-2020, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

no it was a Sierra marine replacement IC module. I put the factory one back on and both rode the same....
Steer clear of any Sierra electronics. The IC module may still be the issue and you wound up with typical Sierra garbage.