Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
8.3l Whipple vs. 10-71 >

8.3l Whipple vs. 10-71

Notices

8.3l Whipple vs. 10-71

Old 03-01-2022, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Dan, Like you said, if you checked the plugs after a high speed run cutting the ign. then WOT looks good but according to you the midrange is where you had problems, so good point!

FYI, I installed a carb Hat on my procharged boat and was up on Lake Charlevoix tunning, turned the key off at 3500 cruise speed, pulled a few plugs and almost $hitt myself, but WOT was low 11s on one bank and high 10s on the other. messed with it all weekend (suppose to be a vacation) Ha right.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 1,306 Likes on 636 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
FYI, I installed a carb Hat on my procharged boat and was up on Lake Charlevoix tunning, turned the key off at 3500 cruise speed, pulled a few plugs and almost $hitt myself, but WOT was low 11s on one bank and high 10s on the other. messed with it all weekend (suppose to be a vacation) Ha right.
You ever see the dyno video where they kept turning the carb hat to tune the engine banks, lean vs rich? It was amazing to see that how the air entering the carb could alter the tune bank to bank.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
You ever see the dyno video where they kept turning the carb hat to tune the engine banks, lean vs rich? It was amazing to see that how the air entering the carb could alter the tune bank to bank.
I remember seeing that on my buddys procharged build while dynoing. If i recall, the hat entrance was on the even side , and the odd side cylinders were significantly richer
Old 03-01-2022, 10:06 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Probably a lot more air went thru those boosters causing much more fuel to come out of them.
The following users liked this post:
MILD THUNDER (03-01-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 06:22 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I read my plugs after every weekend and they seemed fine .
I mean you guys tell me, obviously I`m not good at reading plugs but I sent pics to people that said this was fine but I could use more timing .. with boostane they all come out yellow so that makes it even worse ...

Plug reading has to be done on a hot shut down, its not fun in the boat. Here's a good reference for plug reading;
Old 03-02-2022, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

That’s the best advice anybody could ever give you right there. Damm I remember 30 plus years ago that’s all we had for the most part. PLUG READING. I would always be checking the hotter cylinders at cruising rpm’s and wot. We didn’t have all the fancy chit then nor could afford it. It was school of hard knocks. Dan that video is priceless IMO. Don’t feel bad about what you may not have known before rather learn from it and move forward. So many people are clueless when it comes to plug reading/tuning. Like whaaaaat?

Panther (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 07:02 AM
Registered

If you think about it… Do you ever hear of anyone talking about the perfect plug burn and timing? Ah hardly ever! It’s always my afr’s or my egt’s. In fact egt’s almost seem to be less and less of a reference. I still have an old ancient egt probe and digital gauge I use to monitor #8 on some blown bbc’s.

I’ve said it here before but will again and on those same engines the egt’s were like melt piston hot but the plugs told me different. Had to lean it way up to get the fire back in the hole so to speak - Resulting in much lower egt’s. Like the video mentioned there all just numbers at the end of the day.
Panther (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 07:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by abones
So let me say this, O2 readings and AFRs in whatever range you my think is optimum is all great but I learned and was blown away by reading plugs that those #s can hurt . READ THE PLUGS during Dyno testing.!

I'm sure everyone knows this, I just wanted to bring it up again food for thought!

There you go!!! Thank you! I missed some earlier post. 👍👍👍.

I’ve still got burn marks from doing in the boat from years ago. 😂
Panther (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
No I haven't but now i must see it just to learn, No need for me any longer as I re-installed the Carb boxes and put the jetting back to where it was for years, and realized a few more HP is just not worth the lose of reliability and ease of usage. Another experiment that didn't pan out for my needs.
But what else can we possibly be doing with ALL are SPARE time?
Old 05-14-2023, 09:40 AM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Currently have 8.3's (510R's) on Sterling 1100's. Maybe 10 hours on motors since on the dyno. First experience with 8.3's. Previously had 8-71 and 10-71's with 120 rotors. 8.3's run great but at idle (1000) they seem to make a bunch of racket. Belt tension varied between 1/2 " to 1" cold but no change. Backlash in rotor and input seems ok. Maybe I am being too critical? Anyone else have any experience with this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.