Ideal method of engine cooling for most consistent temps >

Ideal method of engine cooling for most consistent temps

Notices

Ideal method of engine cooling for most consistent temps

Old 12-28-2020, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Im running -6 an on both rear sides to a Y connector and dumping a single -6 over board on both engines.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
I might suggest dumping both rears of the intake directly overboard with AN -8s all independent of each other, I did this on my engines it helps at sustained higher RPM runs.
I would agree independently to avoid any transfer. I was trying to eliminate the amount of dumps however as Rookie mentioned utilizing the exhaust and that actually may serve two purposes (possibly). Just thinking the exhaust might help pull or suck the water through.

Im probably over thinking but better than under I guess. Lol
Old 12-28-2020, 10:39 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the help Jason. I realize every platform will alter and have to adjust accordingly however that痴 a good baseline to start. I remember seeing those restricters you posted. Pretty slick and easily adjustable or replaceable.

One thing I知 curious of is what your doing for a t-stat if any. I would assume you are and drilled holes but your advice on that would be helpful. I知 really curious as the size stricter you used for the bypass. Header temps ok prior to stat opening? Again that痴 if your using them.

Again thanks for your time and help. I really enjoy experimenting and ongoing look for ways to improve however that痴 a great place to start and save me some time. Plus good info for others.

That must have been some chitty days when the valves said good by. Dammm.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ
Does any of this really change with closed cooling? Or are the issues more prevalent when using a crossover?

More non closed cooling related. Not sure if there痴 any improvements to make on closed cooling. Probably though.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:51 AM
Registered

Jason did you have any comparison from std firing order vs the 4/7-2/3 swap. That would be real interesting to know also.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I would agree independently to avoid any transfer. I was trying to eliminate the amount of dumps however as Rookie mentioned utilizing the exhaust and that actually may serve two purposes (possibly). Just thinking the exhaust might help pull or suck the water through.

Im probably over thinking but better than under I guess. Lol
Personally I don't like more water in the exhaust then needed, your concerns of more penetrations in the hull is valid.. I use wafers in place of the t-stat settled on the 3/4 hole and dumps off the rear intake and seems to work for my application.. all engines and exhaust systems will react differently. you will fine tune it once it's in the water and running.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:50 PM
Registered

Thanks and yes I知 finally on the way to getting in the water. Long project. Business put most on hold. I have dry Stellings to the tip so I値l have to check that out but certain I will have options. Btw I still need to get john sr on your boat. He痴 80 now even though one would never know it however I wanna get him on the water over 100 mph. 😎
The following users liked this post:
abones (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I have 2 -6AN lines coming off my intake.
Thats how it`s always been .
I grab water temp back there too.
I don`t know what it helps or doesn`t lol

Old 12-28-2020, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 1,306 Likes on 636 Posts

One thing I知 curious of is what your doing for a t-stat if any. I would assume you are and drilled holes but your advice on that would be helpful. I知 really curious as the size stricter you used for the bypass. Header temps ok prior to stat opening? Again that痴 if your using them.

Again thanks for your time and help. I really enjoy experimenting and ongoing look for ways to improve however that痴 a great place to start and save me some time. Plus good info for others.

That must have been some chitty days when the valves said good by. Dammm.
I ran 140ーF stats with 4-3/16" holes. This would allow the blocks to generate a little heat. ~110ーF while idling. On long runs they would get to 140ーF but one block would slowly climb into the 160ー (old stats) so I put another hole in it. It's funny that this thread came up. I am now going with 120ーF high flow race thermostats.They appear to be able to flow some water. I was just installing them tonight.

Jason did you have any comparison from std firing order vs the 4/7-2/3 swap. That would be real interesting to know also.
No, I have never ran a comparison. Valako and I talked with his Comp Cam tech guy and he said the biggest benefit to the swapped firing order was the cooling aspects and minor HP gain.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:44 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Getrdun - if you use tstats you値l have to get tstat spacer with that intake or mill the divider i guess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.