Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Ideal method of engine cooling for most consistent temps >

Ideal method of engine cooling for most consistent temps

Notices

Ideal method of engine cooling for most consistent temps

Old 12-29-2020, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

I couldn’t tell by pics but did you reduce the number of holes with the new 120 stats or you going to wait and see how they react. Tks for the info.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
Getrdun - if you use tstats you’ll have to get tstat spacer with that intake or mill the divider i guess
That’s a good point. How many times I’ve looked at that intake and saw the divider however never gave it a thought. They went to Jim’s to raise the floors and some porting. I’ll mention to him to remove.

Whats the purpose?
Old 12-29-2020, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Thanks and yes I’m finally on the way to getting in the water. Long project. Business put most on hold. I have dry Stellings to the tip so I’ll have to check that out but certain I will have options. Btw I still need to get john sr on your boat. He’s 80 now even though one would never know it however I wanna get him on the water over 100 mph. 😎
I'm planning on putting the boat up for sale when we return from Arizona for Desert Storm, that's at the end of April, so we need to do it early in the season! or it may not sell at all then we have all summer. Hard to sell a 38FT cat with a full cabin that runs 120 MPH!
The following users liked this post:
getrdunn (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 09:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I have 2 -6AN lines coming off my intake.
Thats how it`s always been .
I grab water temp back there too.
I don`t know what it helps or doesn`t lol

It’s always nice to see the pride you take in your work 👍👍👍. Also Tks for the post. I couldn’t tell by pics however from what I could see looks like you dumping individually as well?
Old 12-29-2020, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Thank you .
Dumping them individually above the drives , yes.. I thought about using them to cool the drives but they never really get hot.
For a bravo it might be cool idea

Old 12-29-2020, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 1,306 Likes on 636 Posts

I couldn’t tell by pics but did you reduce the number of holes with the new 120 stats or you going to wait and see how they react. Tks for the info.
I did not put any holes in them. They come with 1 hole in them for air pockets. I will probably not drill any holes in them right away. I'll see where my pressure is an go from there. I also just put those in my Merc 420's w/ 500 EFI cam builds. Those engines ran hotter water and oil than I like with 420 stock hardware. Nothing like spending $160 on thermostats. Why do I do this again... lol
Old 12-29-2020, 05:44 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

That’s a good point. How many times I’ve looked at that intake and saw the divider however never gave it a thought. They went to Jim’s to raise the floors and some porting. I’ll mention to him to remove.

Whats the purpose?
Gives it Direction.
Forces water up there vs the two columns of water crashing into each other, then going up. Water flows similarly to air, but with a little mire weight.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 1,306 Likes on 636 Posts

They went to Jim’s to raise the floors and some porting. I’ll mention to him to remove.

Whats the purpose?
I'll cut them out tomorrow while I'm at the shop. lol

Originally Posted by SB
a little mire weight.
Can you quantify mire for me? I must have missed that unit in my engineering classes...
SB (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I run in water temps that range from 34 to 76 degrees. I have a 524CI BBC that's a GM Mark IV block with AFR heads and a Brodix HV2000 intake, and Lightning headers. I am running the Hardin stainless pump that I have ported for better flow with a crossover and racing 160 thermostat. It came with 3 3/16" holes and I still have the divider under the thermostat. I added a -10 line from back to front to even out the cooling. According to my lab grade IR temp gun the front and rear of my cylinder heads are with 2 degrees of each other. I have slightly modified the headers to allow for more flow as well. When running wide open across the lake I run about 165 on the gauge. idling for any length and I'm 140-150 if the water is warm. When Lake Huron is cold, I'm lucky to hit 130 pushing it. My oil cooler is a bit too small, but with Amsoil as long as I'm under 300 degrees I'm fine. I couldn't ask for a more consistent and even cooling system.

getrdunn (01-07-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 05:10 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
I'll cut them out tomorrow while I'm at the shop. lol

Can you quantify mire for me? I must have missed that unit in my engineering classes...
Yes. My finger pads are worn slanted. I pressed ‘o’ on my phone keypad but got ‘i’. So, tried to type ‘more.’
lol
Rookie (01-04-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.