Notices

tiller arm?

Old 11-15-2002, 07:19 AM
patrick22309

Default tiller arm?

Going to replace my tiller arm using the drill and tap method. My 89 Alpha has dimples on the drive that I think are used to locate the drill point. An I correct??? The templates I have seen are for an alpha with the larger flat area than mine with the multilevel grease fitting on the top of drive. Want to make sure I drill the correct location.

Thanks,

Old 11-15-2002, 07:21 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you have to get the kit anyhow I would just use the template that they give you.

Jon.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Patrick,

Be carefull with the one that has the grease fitting on it. My buddy just drilled one using the template and it was wrong for the older one. I will check with him and get back to you.

Tim T.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:54 AM
patrick22309

Default template problem!

Yes, It looks like the template they supply is for the newer still Gen 1 alpha and it wouldn't work on my alpha. I am thinking that the existing dimples is where you drill when a template doesn't apply.

Old 11-15-2002, 06:54 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the templates you need. I can send them to you, BUT they are at work. If you want them, I can send them on Monday, just send me your e-mail address.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I have personally done this job many times and it SUCKS! After doing so many of these, I feel that it is actually faster to just pull the motor and remove the transon assy and do the job correctly without hacking up the transom assy with those god awful holes that need to be drilled, ask audiofn, his boat sunk because of the ****ty plastic hex plugs that cap the holes,they had cracked and let water in. Also it is quite a chore to remove the swivel pin nut through the drilled holes and when you finally do get it off (2-4hrs of cursing) It is very entertaining trying to get the swivel pin,lower washer,tiller arm, upper washer and nut lined up by using one finger in each hole

Been there too many times, do it the right way and it will actually take you less time!

Good luck, Kurt.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to agree with Biggus. Thats the only way I will do them anymore.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:16 AM
Dennis Moore

I agree with Biggus, you will have a better experience doing it the correct way. You will also find out how easy it is to pull the engine on a Mercruiser. You can clean out the bilge and clean off the underside of the engine and really detail out the engine compartment. When I worked for Hallett Boats we had a machinest make some good looking billet caps that we epoxied into place instead the goofy black plastic plugs (it looked much better). I've done the job both ways and if you are working on your own boat you should take your time and pull the engine.
Sincerely
Dennis Moore
FAMILY AND PERFORMANCE BOATING MAGAZINE

Old 11-16-2002, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have both of my engines out right now for the same leaking seal right now. Also plan on repainting the transom assemblies and drives with IMRON this winter.
Old 11-18-2002, 11:33 AM
patrick22309

Maybe, I will go the engine removal method. Got nothing but time this winter!

Quick Reply: tiller arm?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.