Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Thunderbolt V with M3SC procharger (go easy on me lol) >

Thunderbolt V with M3SC procharger (go easy on me lol)

Notices

Thunderbolt V with M3SC procharger (go easy on me lol)

Old 04-27-2021, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thunderbolt V with M3SC procharger (go easy on me lol)

Hey guys, wondering if someone has done as the title says? I have a 253 Checkmate Convincor with a 454 Mag motor in it. Motor was just done before I bought the boat, bored .030 over but other then that completely stock. I purchased a Procharger M3SC kit with the intercooler and plan on running around 5 PSI of boost (what procharger rep has told me anyways) Ive upgraded the fuel system with an Aeromotive A1000 pump and a Aeromotive boost referenced regulator, all fuel lines upsized as well and a return plumbed to the tank, Nickerson blow threw carb topping it off. I think Ive got the fuel system covered and dont have any questions there.

My question is regarding the timing and the Thunderbolt V system thats on my motor (yes Ive verified it is a TBV as it has the knock sensor and module) My eyes are burning from the amount of reading Ive been doing regarding timing and blowers/prochargers. Has anyone successfully used the TBV ignition system with a blower motor?? Im not looking at running anymore then 5 PSI of boost at this time but want something reliable. Nearly done installing all the other components and have not ran the motor at all yet, hence the reason for the question incase I need to order more parts. Ive done a search and there seems to be quite a bit of information regarding EFI with prochargers just not a pile with carbs? Ive heard that running the V6-14 module was the fix for the TBIV systems but that wont work with my system because of the changing timing curve correct?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Ontariocheckmate; 04-27-2021 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 1,281 Likes on 622 Posts

Old 04-27-2021, 02:38 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I would think some kind of boost retard system would keep you from breaking the ring lands off of the pistons. Not sure how that works with the TB-V
The following users liked this post:
Ontariocheckmate (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 02:54 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Maybe a Daytona kit is in order ? Not only fully programmable timing, bit I believe you can do boost retard too.
They have retrofit kits for the tbolt distributors.
The following 3 users liked this post by SB:
Griff (04-28-2021), Ontariocheckmate (04-27-2021), TomZ (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 05:12 PM
Registered

SB, Can you elaborate on this Daytona kit? Or a link for it? From what Ive read (and again this is only reading not first hand experience by any means) Is that you want your total timing to be around the 30* mark... What Im worried about is with the TB V system it will keep advancing timing on its own (again from what Ive read about it) but I believe the total timing will end up above the 30* mark somewhere in the 35* range if Im reading the Mercury chart correctly which from my understanding is to much.

Any help on this is much appreciated! The more I seem to read about things the more confusing it is getting for me lol
Old 04-27-2021, 05:45 PM
SB
Registered

CD-1? Ignition System - Marine Racing Unit | Daytona Sensors?

Do a search here, well, in google but use search term followed by : offshoreonly.com
as there are a good sky of people here running them. You will probably not be able run knock sensor though.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:47 PM
GPM
Registered

Compression ratio, aluminum or steel heads, cam, intake air temperature, octane all effect how much timing you can run.
The following users liked this post:
Ontariocheckmate (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 05:48 PM
GPM
Registered

Keep the knock sensor if at all possible, it could save you thousands
Old 04-27-2021, 06:52 PM
SB
Registered

Some info on the tbv’s :
Thunderbolt V Ignitition
Old 04-27-2021, 07:40 PM
Registered

GPM, stock rectangle port heads (Mag motor) with the stock cam, Stock compression ratio, not sure of intake temp but it is going threw the procharger intercooler. Will be running at least 91 octane fuel in it. In an ideal world I would keep the TBV system with the knock sensor as I definitely like the idea of it and it being able to pull timing. I just don't know if anyone has successfully and reliably ran that setup at all.

SB, thanks for both those links, Ive read threw the TBV article and that's where I was getting those timing numbers I metioned earlier. My understanding is your base timing is set to 10* Under acceleration you can get another 10* of advance and then your MBT advance is anywhere from 10-15* giving you a total of up to 35* I did a quick search on the Daytona website and that may be the route I have to go as you can lock you maximum advance on it from what I read

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.