502 surging and loading up? >

502 surging and loading up?

Notices

502 surging and loading up?

Old 07-29-2021, 09:28 AM
BEACH PARTY / HOLLOWPOINT
Platinum Member

Received 1,307 Likes on 734 Posts

Timing has been verified as being correct, right? The ass-hats that worked on my 311 prior to purchase tried timing it without being in service mode. 35 degrees at idle. Dirty IAC and this timing issue caused it to surge (they claimed it was down on compression in four out of eight cylinders). I fixed the timing (and got the firing order correct on the other engine) and used it for another three seasons. Anyway, just an idea.
The following users liked this post:
SB (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
Timing has been verified as being correct, right? The ass-hats that worked on my 311 prior to purchase tried timing it without being in service mode. 35 degrees at idle. Dirty IAC and this timing issue caused it to surge (they claimed it was down on compression in four out of eight cylinders). I fixed the timing (and got the firing order correct on the other engine) and used it for another three seasons. Anyway, just an idea.

From what they told me it was set to factory. I would assume with the recommendations and well known of this shop they would know how to check it. But seeing as they dont know how to fix a low fuel pressure issue, maybe not.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Well after dealing with my run ability issues all summer and a failed attempt at a repair shop to diagnose the issue we might have gotten somewhere. Just had the boat winterized last week and mentioned what it was running like and he said he would take a look. He said he first pulled plugs and they were all uniform in color but looked like they were years old. I bought this boat this spring, then he moved to the distributor and found the cap and rotor full of corrosion and the "advancer" frozen. He replaced plugs, wires and distributor and said boat ran flawless of course. But now its winterized so it'll be summer before we can actually test out. Still really disappointed I paid a marina $300 this summer to diagnose nothing and couldn't even look into the simple things like this. Lesson learned I suppose!
Old 11-03-2021, 11:45 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Yup cap is pretty bsd. The ‘advancer’ ? Lol. Must be miscommunication on this part right ? No such a thing. Your dist is all electronic. Module maybe ?

Last edited by SB; 11-03-2021 at 11:51 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SB:
articfriends (11-20-2021), TomZ (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 05:24 PM
BEACH PARTY / HOLLOWPOINT
Platinum Member

Received 1,307 Likes on 734 Posts

That cap is nasty!
Old 11-19-2021, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

One of the first things to change when taking ownership of a used boat before hitting the water.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tractionless:
Gimme Fuel (11-22-2021), xlint89 (11-20-2021)