Notices

502 EFI to HP 500 carb constant alarm need wiring help

Old 07-06-2021, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 356 Likes on 167 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Many have placed it there and they work, mine is Tee'd in the block drain

The engine connector looks good but might just be where the wires connect to the pins inside
I wonder why my water pressure is so low then? Might need to attempt a back flush for the Hell of it. Maybe I should just replace the impeller too? Keep the one in it now as a spare if still good.

What's a good way to back flush?

As for the wiring pin connections, not sure how you'd inspect those?

Originally Posted by Helmwurst
Where is this project at? There may be some local tech's who could help you out.
Cleveland

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
"I had a thought today that I need to look into. I'm assuming the alarm is for the engine. There is another alarm on my boat."
I had an intermittent alarm that was driving me crazy only to find that my depth gauge was alarming, it was in the process of taking a dump.
This is what I'm thinking too. Might be my built-in depth
gauge as you suggest.

Thinking back, I had an issue with my tach acting weird after the GF and I made a top speed run with the old engine last year. Figured it was old and on it's way out. The gauges were dated, so I replaced them and my dash panels over the winter. Maybe it wasn't the old tach failing, but the original wiring causing the problem?

The boat is a 1998 and has been fresh water all it's life. The previous owner was a schmuck and had/did some really questionable work on the boat. Looks like I need to do some detailed testing of my original wiring. Lucky me.....

Thanks guys
Old 07-06-2021, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 375 Posts

I wonder why my water pressure is so low then? Might need to attempt a back flush for the Hell of it. Maybe I should just replace the impeller too? Keep the one in it now as a spare if still good.

What's a good way to back flush?

As for the wiring pin connections, not sure how you'd inspect those?
Pressure is increased by a restriction and/or more flow, the lack of any restriction means low pressure.
Back flushing is used to decrease the restriction so more flow can happen. If the raw water pump is not pumping correctly then there is low flow.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:01 PM
Registered

Understood. Thanks
Old 08-26-2024, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I know this is an old thread but looks like the OP was just on here. Did you ever get this figured out?
Old 08-26-2024, 10:37 PM
Registered

Yes. There was another alarm under the dash for the water depth gauge. I think it was set on deep water notification. So it took a bit of running before it would activate, making me think it was an engine alarm.

Also another problem I came across is the factory wiring connectors (multi wire plastic quick-disconnects) are aging and making poor contact. The main 12V + was loose and making intermittent contact for my tach. .

Last edited by xlint89; 08-26-2024 at 10:42 PM.