How much HP will Maximus prop handle? >

How much HP will Maximus prop handle?

Notices

How much HP will Maximus prop handle?

Old 06-17-2021, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How much HP will Maximus prop handle?

Just a random question but I have Imco SCX uppers and just ordered dual down shaft lowers and running 700hp through them with Maximus props now. My SC bottoms did not like that much hp and ate the gears in 30 hours. Now if I where to up my HP to say 900 to 1000 would my next week link be the propellers? I here of Herring throwing blades but have not heard of Maximus doing that yet. Anyone running big power on cast props?
The following users liked this post:
IGetWet (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

I think the reason props sling blades is because they are being surfaced, not necessarily because of HP. When you surface a prop, every time the blade enters the water, it flexes ever so slightly. When it comes out of the water it returns to its original position. When this happens hundreds of thousands of times, it eventually cracks along the flex line and slings a blade. I have seen boats with moderate HP with high X dimensions that sometimes can't make it through a day of running without slinging a blade. Now, I am not an engineer, that is just what I have witnessed.
The following 3 users liked this post by snapmorgan:
Gimme Fuel (06-18-2021), JaayTeee (06-17-2021), rvtransport (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

My rebuilt B1 from AADS with his upgrades is running behind 700hp and doing well. No metal on magnets after 50 hours and I am harder on it than I should be. I am running his recommended NEO oil and it's still clean after 50 hours as well.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I ran recommended Torco from Imco. Changed oil at 15 hours after brake in and oil was very clean no metal on magnets. Then went to change for this season with 35 hours and metal all over magnets and lower gears pitted. Was not real happy. The SCX uppers and lowers where bought new right from Imco last spring. I have new gears going into my -2 SC lowers if anyone is interested. Also I will have real world data on how much speed dual down shafts will scrub. No body can seem to answer that question yet.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

I have been running 950 hp for 4 years without an issue, before that is was 800 hp for 8+ years. The props are at least 12 years old. I would think that they would hold your power without issue.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:19 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

1070 Hp on a 34 cat held up well