Valve springs and lifters in and engine that sat for 6 years >

Valve springs and lifters in and engine that sat for 6 years

Notices

Valve springs and lifters in and engine that sat for 6 years

Old 06-18-2021, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Valve springs and lifters in an engine that sat for 6 years

Hey guys my island hotel is doing well so finally ready to start building my cars I had to sit aside for about 6 years
i have a 67 camaro with a bbc 540. I’m running a .647 lift hyd roller cam and lifters.
You think the lifters and valve springs are bad from the engine sitting all that time? The engine has dyno time only, thanks in advance for any feedback, Rm

Last edited by iliveonanisland; 06-18-2021 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:46 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Should be fine unless moisture got inside and started rusting the valvesprings and etc. Most all (boat/jetski/hotrod/snowmobile/motorcycle/etc) engines around here sit for 8-10 months a year, year after year. Some years, they don't get used. It's the fuel sitting we all worry about.

Great to hear about the motel !
Old 06-18-2021, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 807 Likes on 455 Posts

Yes there are a lot of engines that are fired up after x years of being all but abandoned... most of those aren't a purpose built 540 in a camaro vs. graveyard stock production engine.

There is always 2 schools to look at your situation...as SB stated where it can be no issue or, you can run and break a spring in no time which leads to ???? and your on an island

Do you have the ways/means to pull a valve spring w/o pulling the heads and compare to new spec height? I've seen springs where they take a set under full compression after a long time - obviously, where the cam has both valves closed it would be less of an issue vs. full compression....

very minimum you need to get the lifters expanded or they will be hammering .
Old 06-18-2021, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 583 Likes on 295 Posts

Run it
Old 06-18-2021, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 118 Posts

Rm,
I did a test a while back where I checked a couple of springs and then compressed them to coil bind with two retainers and a bolt and nut. I let them sit for a year and checked them and they had not lost even a pound. A few months ago I was cleaning up in m garage and found the box with the two springs in it from almost ten years ago. I took them to the shop and loosened the bolts and checked them. The bigger spring which was for a hydraulic roller had lost about 5 lbs ? The small stock spring still checked the same as it did ten years ago.

So I guess the moral is ..... go ahead and run it I would pre-oil the heck out of it to make sure some oil is running down on the lifter wheels but otherwise I also say "go for it"
The following 2 users liked this post by BillK:
Ryan00TJ (06-19-2021), tommymonza (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 08:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

The lifters bleed down so the springs arent under full compression. Spray a little WD40 in the intake and remove the valve covers and oil the springs and rockers. Turn it over on a battery till you get oil pressure if you are afraid... The lifters squeak in my boat till it comes up close to temp after 3 months no matter what.

Send it!
Old 06-19-2021, 03:00 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Just start it up, if runs fine send it.
If there is a problem you will know right away.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:27 AM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Drain old fuel out and refill with good stuff. Pull the plugs and spin it over till there's oil pressure. Plugs back in and fire it up.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Yes there are a lot of engines that are fired up after x years of being all but abandoned... most of those aren't a purpose built 540 in a camaro vs. graveyard stock production engine.

There is always 2 schools to look at your situation...as SB stated where it can be no issue or, you can run and break a spring in no time which leads to ???? and your on an island

Do you have the ways/means to pull a valve spring w/o pulling the heads and compare to new spec height? I've seen springs where they take a set under full compression after a long time - obviously, where the cam has both valves closed it would be less of an issue vs. full compression....

very minimum you need to get the lifters expanded or they will be hammering .
the car is in Miami. I’m having my DSE quad link installed and having it painted and the interior done in leather then shipping it to medellin. It will never go to the island. There are no roads there lol
Old 06-20-2021, 04:30 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. Just wented to ask before I fire it up. I will pull the plugs and oil it down and roll it over til I get oil pressure before I fire it up. Rm