Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
mega blowers >

mega blowers

Notices

mega blowers

Old 11-21-2002, 07:19 PM
bobby daniels

Originally posted by KAAMA
Bobby, if I said that I got a BSFC in the boat then that is not correct. We got it off the dyno. The coils are Crane PS92 coils and the carbs are new----everything is pretty much new although I know that doesn't always mean much. We'll be doing a plug check in the spring. I just got the boat running about a month ago and it's cold here now. There is still raw fuel on the transom. I guess the plug check is our next step. Thanks Bobby
MARC ,BRING IT DOWN SOUTH AND STAY HERE A WEEK-END AND WE CAN DIAL IT IN ,ITS MOST LIKLY THE AIR BLEEDS ,WE'VE HAD 3 CARBS LATLY NEW THAT THE AIR BLEED CIRCUITS HAD METAL ,BLOCKING THEM ,,
THE COIL IS A GOOD ONE JUST BE SURE ITS WORKING RIGHT CHECK THE COLOR OF THE SPARK AT THE DIST.
LET ME KNOW IF YOU TRY ANYTHING ,ITS AND AWSOME MOTOR
YOU DID IT RIGHT

Old 11-21-2002, 07:21 PM
bobby daniels

Default Re: Fuel pressure...

Originally posted by KAAMA
Marc, I'm using Edlebrock mechanical fuel pumps with Holley fuel pressure regulators. The Edlebrock pumps have 6 valves internally and I went with them because the Holley mech fuel pumps weren't keeping up with the fuel demand real well---the Holley's have only 4 valves internally. I have mechanical fuel pressure gauges at the helm so we're running at about 7psi at idle and about 6.5psi or so at WOT. Since I have gotten my boat running again, I have only been testing it in CALM water so I'm doubting it is dumping fuel, but it's still something to watch for. Sounds like pehaps I should adjust them down a little eh?---or at least be more aware of. Thanks for the tip Marc!

Old 11-21-2002, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

KAAMA/ Mark
Where are your EGT probes - in the header about 3 inches from the head flange or drilled into the head like mine are. If they are drilled into the head like mine than they may be seeing some flame because they are TOO close to the port. I run my engines at 1350 to 1375* constantly and have seen 1425* on short runs. My plugs still show as proper mixture.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:25 PM
bobby daniels

Default Re: Fuel pressure...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KAAMA
Marc, I'm using Edlebrock mechanical fuel pumps with Holley fuel pressure regulators. The Edlebrock pumps have 6 valves internally and I went with them because the Holley mech fuel pumps weren't keeping up with the fuel demand real well---the Holley's have only 4 valves internally. I have mechanical fuel pressure gauges at the helm so we're running at about 7psi at idle and about 6.5psi or so at WOT. Since I have gotten my boat running again, I have only been testing it in CALM water so I'm doubting it is dumping fuel, but it's still something to watch for. Sounds like pehaps I should adjust them down a little eh?---or at least be more aware of. Thanks for the tip Marc! [/QUOTE

WATCH THE HOLLEY PRESSURE REG. MOST ONLY HAVE A 135 THO
HOLE FOR FUEL FLOW THATS VERY SMALL THE MALLORY OR BARRY GRANT ARE 1/4 INCH OR LARGER AND SOME PROVIDE A PORT FOR RETURN TO THE TANK SO THE PUMP DOES NOT SIT THERE AND DEAD HEAD AND HEAT THE FUEL IT JUST CIRCULATES AND STAYS COOL ]

Old 11-21-2002, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kaama, I have a very similar setup to you but a milder cam and 9.4:1 compression. I have Cutler MPI system on it. When I dyno'd it, I used that 950HP carb to base line it before switching to the EFI. Using the 78 jets that it came with, it was so lean it wouldn't even rev past 4800 RPM. We ended up with 82's in it before it was close and even then it was too lean to run in a boat. Be careful, you may be extremely lean!

Bob
Old 11-22-2002, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

bobl,

Mine run up to 5700rpm on the dyno, with #78 jets on all four corners with no detonation or any other problems that we could see.

Again, I don't know how I could have a lean condition if I have signs of raw fuel on my transom (black transom). This is a tough one until we get some plug readings. Thanks bobl
Old 11-22-2002, 08:52 AM
Registered

OOPS you guys! I actually posted the wrong fuel burn rate per hour on Post #12 of this thread---dang! No wonder everyone thinks I'm running too lean.

Okay here's the correct numbers:

3500rpm (cruise) fuel burn rate is 148 lbs per hour

5500rpm fuel burn rate is 248 lbs per hour (I originally said 146 lbs per hour)

SORRY!

Last edited by KAAMA; 11-22-2002 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:51 PM
454hoho

Default mbam / b daniels

Any info on valve bounce or reverse flow on aspirated motors, any info would be appreciated. repeat any info

Old 11-23-2002, 07:46 AM
Registered

Bobby, thanks for the tip on the fuel pressure regulators, etc.

Mark
Old 11-23-2002, 01:00 PM
bobby daniels

NO PROBLEM MARK BRING YOU BOAT AND HEAD SOUTH WITH SOME FRIENDS AND WE'LL DIAL IT IN ,LET ME KNOW ON THE HEADS ALSO BLOCKS ECT

Quick Reply: mega blowers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.