Low Oil Temp

Notices

Low Oil Temp

Old 09-09-2021, 12:36 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,903 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Handheld temp gun just came in today, I will test it out over Labor Day weekend. Sensor is in a -12 AN gauge adapter attached to the filter housing coming from the thermostat assembly.
I don't know anybody that gets accurate oil temps with the sensor installed in the remote filter assembly.
Old 09-09-2021, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I don't know anybody that gets accurate oil temps with the sensor installed in the remote filter assembly.
And why is that?
Old 09-09-2021, 07:59 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,903 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
And why is that?
I have a couple theories.
The sensor does not go in deep enough because of the adapter fitting that is needed and filter mount and the fitting actually acts a heat sync and cools the oil at that location.
The other is that the same oil (or air pocket) sits in the recessed area where the sensor and fitting are. Kind of like putting something in the bed of your truck close to the cab.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
OK I agree with that, I was of the same thought so I took the Brass adaptor and drilled the inside pocket as large as I could while leaving enough strength for securement thereby allowing for a fairly large oil bath around the sensor probe. I also horizontally mounted mine and feel I get adequate volume of fresh oil flow across the adapter.
It is a shame nobody makes an oil temp sending unit with a larger base size so the probe would be fully immersed in flowing oil.
The following users liked this post:
Griff (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 08:38 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Just some notes on oil temps. Don't be scared to run the oil temp up a little. Would like about 215 or 225 ish. A little higher not an issue. Burns water out better. Most engines run the oil too cool.

I just took the oil cooler off to try it because mine(MPI) ran 180 to 220 ish even in hot summer. Friend of mine's carbureted 502's run with no cooler and runs around 220 to 250 ish when running hard in hot summer. Thus trying mine without cooler. Cleanest motors i have ever seen have been run their lives with quite a bit hotter oil.

I called Shell Rotella today and their upper level tech department said their 15W40 oil can take 300 F for a typical summer's usage without any issues. Interesting talk.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap'm Kurt
Just some notes on oil temps. Don't be scared to run the oil temp up a little. Would like about 215 or 225 ish. A little higher not an issue. Burns water out better. Most engines run the oil too cool.

I just took the oil cooler off to try it because mine(MPI) ran 180 to 220 ish even in hot summer. Friend of mine's carbureted 502's run with no cooler and runs around 220 to 250 ish when running hard in hot summer. Thus trying mine without cooler. Cleanest motors i have ever seen have been run their lives with quite a bit hotter oil.

I called Shell Rotella today and their upper level tech department said their 15W40 oil can take 300 F for a typical summer's usage without any issues. Interesting talk.
Good luck with that
The following 3 users liked this post by ph1971:
Griff (09-12-2021), Rookie (09-16-2021), underpsi68 (09-12-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 12:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member

As i mentioned below, I removed the oil cooler since the oil has always run to cool. WOT was like 215/220, which is perfect but only at WOT..
I ran 4600 rpm for almost 10 minutes in hot weather. The oil was at 275 without the cooler.. Nice to know it didn't get way higher, and motor can live with that. I didn't check it at normal slower cruising speeds but expect it to be a lot lower. Hopefully 225 to 235 in hot summer..
I also expect it to come down a little when i richen the AF ratio up, as its running lean right now. .Running lean can have a big affect on oil temperatures.

If you look at the oil taken from a motor running the oil too cool, vs a motor with oil say 220 or higher, there's a BIG difference in the look of the oil. You can tell the colder running oil has a lot of moisture in it turning it a more brownish color(or very slightly milky) instead of a cleaner, just a pure dark look with the hotter oil.. I've sent oil samples off in the past when running the oil with the factory cooler setup, and sure enough, has a lot of moisture in it.

I finally stopped all the moisture getting back to the motor thru the exhaust as a result of exhaust Reversion, which was giving a lot of the moisture issues in the oil and on the exhaust valves. But still had brownish oil from too much moisture with the oil cooler. The oil looks much better without the cooler.

Good luck.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:47 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Default article from Engine Labs on oil temperatures

Below is an article i found from Engine Labs on auto engine oil temps..So what temperature can you run in your car/engine?

That is quite a loaded question and near impossible to answer without a lot of testing. We can give it our best shot, though. Most passenger cars are perfectly fine with oil temps up to 240-260 degrees F *utilizing the OEM recommended oil weight*, with some being designed to handle temps up to 315 Degrees F and higher! How can this be? Standard oil these days have flash temps well over 200 C (400 degrees F), and as long as there is sufficient oil pressure, the oil does not care what temperature it is at. That being said, utilizing an OEM engine and OEM clearances, we would suggest sticking to the OEM oil weight up to around (240-250 Deg. F). If it makes you feel safer, run a bit thicker oil but with thicker oil, comes increased engine wear at cooler temperatures and increased heat into the oil through more friction and less flow (flow and pressure are inverse, as you increase pressure, you decrease flow). Above this temperature, we would recommend increasing the hot temperature weight to ensure sufficient oil pressure. Due to each engine having different optimum operating conditions, we cannot recommend a pressure/RPM to shoot for.

https://www.enginelabs.com/tech-stor...ty%20breakdown.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

UPDATE, water test went perfect. Thermostat cycled correctly and sent the oil to the cooler as needed. I have temp sensors in AN fittings coming out of the engine and going back. Also added a oil pressure gauge at the thermostat. Should burn off the contaminates in the oil now. Going to get another oil analysis and hopefully get good results. I have always been worried about the oil being too hot not too cold.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
They are in AN gauge adapters. They worked perfect after I grounded the sensors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.