Notices

How Cold?

Old 11-21-2002, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quiet Storm, you can locate a surveyorthrough one of their organizations, NAMS or SAMS. I believe they both have websites. I used a surveyor located through NAMS when I needed a survey in Toronto. He made the trip from Buffalo NY to the boat in Hamilton Ontario and back without charging me travel time. He also did an oil analysis that saved me a lot of grief later on (also no extra charge). When you are talking with a surveyor about the boat you want him to look at, be sure to ask how well acquainted with that type of boat he is. Don't be afraid to ask for references. A good guy will be happy to give you some clients' names and numbers. P.S. Don't choose a surveyor just because he's the cheapest. Your survey will be the best money you ever spent.
Old 11-21-2002, 05:03 PM
Registered

The two surveyor accrediting organizations I'm familiar with are NAMS, www.namsurveyors.org and SAMS, www.marinesurvey.org
There are a couple in that area, one right in T.C., and another in Harrison. Probably more in the area but those were two that I found very quickly. Good luck and call me if you have any questions. Dave
Old 11-21-2002, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some times its funny how things work out. I was concerned about how much corrosion was on anything made of painted aluminum on the boat. For a 1999 model, it was bad. I found out that the boat was in salt water for awhile. There were some other things about the boat that I didn’t like but could of lived with. Now I’m glad he didn’t start it. I was very serious about making a deal but I will pass on this one.

Good news is I found one that I like better than the last one. The bad news is its 8 hours away. The owner said he would start it but if its not above 50 degrees I won't insist on it. The motors only have 35 hours on them.

Thanks for the info and offer Dave.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:21 PM
Registered

Any time. If you're in ever Holland let me know. I'll buy you a soda pop.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:05 PM
Intolerant1

Good luck Quite. Im looking forward to seeing your new toy in the spring. Im a year from shopping but will be looking for somthing similar it sounds like.

Old 11-22-2002, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Crazyhorse

The last time I was in Holland I got stuck in the mud on the north side of the lake. By the time I dug my way out, I said I will never go back there. But for a soda pop and if you tell me the safe way in, I'll come back.

Chris

If I manage to get the one I'm looking at, next year will be a very interesting boating season for me. I'll keep you posted. I hope you are healing up. Sounds like its been hell for you.

Roger
Old 11-22-2002, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Roger, sounds like the boat is a runner with the twin engine blowers that you're considering on buying. I don't particularly care for Holland's harbor either but I do know my way around there for the most part. Besides I hear that Holland isn't too kind to performance boaters when it comes to the Marine Patrol----of course I know South Haven isn't much better and I know you boat out of there. How have they been treating the performance boaters lately in South Haven anyway? I may have to sneek into South Haven and Sautatuck next summer. I usually try to avoid Holland altogether during the summer season.

Last edited by KAAMA; 11-22-2002 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kaama

As long as you don't appoach the river like a hot-dog and stay at idle speed in the river, they don't bother you. I've had my hand slapped for that. Come on down, I'd love to see your boat.

Roger
Old 11-22-2002, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How much should a survey cost?
Old 11-25-2002, 08:17 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 543 Posts

Surveys run about $17-20/foot. That does not normally include an engine check, except for maybe hooking up a Merc scan tool. If you want a leak down test, and/or compression check, expect about $100-200 per motor.
(Mid-Atlantic prices)

Quick Reply: How Cold?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.