Notices

How Cold?

Old 11-25-2002, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Roger, I usually try to be a cool customer when pulling into the harbors, but South Haven has for the most part been a harbor that doesn't take kindly to any of the offshore muscle boats that come in there---no matter how cool you are and especially if you have a RASPY sounding exhaust system----like I do. But I always try to show that I am a cool customer and keep a low profile in any port that I pull into. I pulled into the South Haven habor with my boat a couple of times during the 2001 season. Once during the a very HOT August weekday after work around 4pm. And another time in late September on a Saturday to fuel up at that little AMACO fuel stop on the South side of the Harbor. The fuel attendant ask me if that was me that she could hear out there on the lake a few minutes prior, and I said; "Yes, that was probably me that you heard out there". She wasn't complaining to me, but rather just letting me know that she could definately hear me from within the harbor when I cruised by out there. When I pull into South Haven I usually don't go any further into the harbor past the draw brigde. I usually turn around by the "Idler" resturaunt ship. Anyway, I have always heard of a lot of offshore boaters getting noise tickets in that harbor. Some of them I know and several years ago while riding on some friends boats I have even seen the Marine Patrol come up close and take pictures of these offshore boats with their camera and we asked them why? They just said "evidence!" ---and we asked; "Evidence of what?" and they didn't answer us as they just turned around and idled away and waited for us to leave. Actually, I have that on video. If I remember correctly they stopped one of the boats out of our group and gave them a noise ticket. This was back in like 1991. Next year I will attempt to go into the harbor and tie up and grab a bite to eat, but if I get pulled over I will probably avoid South Haven for a while. St. Joseph is much more leanient (spelling?) on boaters as long as you are a cool customer. South Haven it seems is like a roll of the dice---too unpredictable last I knew. Anyway, it sounds like you have escaped for another year..... that's good------espcially if you do all of your boating out of there!
Old 11-25-2002, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KAAMA, you don't use Holland 'cause you're yella. QS, the safest way to enter Holland is by car. If you're up here this winter contact me (or any of the Team Chaos members) and we'll meet up for a liquid refreshment. I don't drink any more but I got no problem watching you have a beer.
Old 11-26-2002, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kaama

I think we get to break in all the rookie water patrollers. They come in with the idea that they are going to save the town folk from us terrible power boaters. It takes them about a year to settle down and leave us alone. I know they are working on a revised noise ordinance for South Haven. If it passes you won't be able to fart after 11:00 PM without getting a citation. I'll let you know how bad it is in the spring. They may make me leave town.

I've looked at two boats so far that have had problems that I could see. No need for surveys. Both have had blower motors. The problem is the owners tell me they are in great shape. Show room quality!!! Then I travel half way across the country to see a boat with problems. I found another one that I might go look at without blowers. I like this idea because I can build them up the way I want. The problem is the boats are getting further and further away from home.

Thanks for the info Brian.

Roger