Crank-mounted water pump? >

Crank-mounted water pump?

Notices

Crank-mounted water pump?

Old 04-21-2022, 08:59 PM
BEACH PARTY / HOLLOWPOINT
Platinum Member

Received 1,333 Likes on 747 Posts

Not sure of what you’re asking. The alternator bracket goes to the head and then the heat exchanger brackets appears to go over top of the alternator bracket. It’s similar on the Gen VI big block.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
Not sure of what you’re asking. The alternator bracket goes to the head and then the heat exchanger brackets appears to go over top of the alternator bracket. It’s similar on the Gen VI big block.
You got it. I realize now that is just a bracket. From my cell phone flashlight it looked like a cooling tube. So then to use this alternator bracket I just remove that bolt and slide it in behind the heat exchanger bracket then?
Old 04-22-2022, 07:47 AM
BEACH PARTY / HOLLOWPOINT
Platinum Member

Received 1,333 Likes on 747 Posts

Got it. I understand now. Yes, alternator bracket then heat exchanger bracket.
The following users liked this post:
Basketcase (04-22-2022)
Old 04-22-2022, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

I put a crank mounted pump on a Westerbeke genset because the stock pump was against the starboard hull side in my Sea Ray with less than an inch of clearance. It also required crawling behind the Cat diesels over the top of the sea strainers and steering gear, squeezing between the exhaust verticals and the transom to even touch the accessory end ig the generator.. After 3 tortuous impeller swaps, I went to the Johnson pump.
there was no great way to locate the center on my Westy so I slotted the 3 holes and used a dial indicator to tap it around until it was close. First time in I hit the end of the slots and stoll had .030" total runout (-.015 to +.015). I fired it up and crawled back on there to see how it acted. It was "good enough" but not perfect. I sighed and took it all back apart and lengthened the slots. Thus time I got it inside of .002" (-.001 to +.001). TOTAL GLASS. Zero movement or vibration. Just crap tons of water pumping thru there. If your pump has any visible shake/wobble/etc to it, try to work with it to eliminate that. The pump bearings will thank you.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcollinstn:
Basketcase (04-29-2022), TomZ (04-22-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 03:20 PM
Registered

So that bracket just isn't going to work for me. It doesn't fit over or under that support for the heat exchanger and that clearly seems to be where it needs to be. No big deal. I've got it together with the old bracket.

Now I have a dumber question. I'm fairly certain I know, but I want to verify because the consequences are severe. LOL. Since we are rotating clockwise when looking at the belt side of the motor, the input is on the right as circled in red, correct?

Old 04-29-2022, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

duhhhhh
Old 04-29-2022, 04:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stinkbomb
duhhhhh
Hahha. I know it seems super obvious but I have a habit of getting all the complex things right and overlooking the small stuff. Lol
Old 04-29-2022, 05:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stinkbomb
duhhhhh
Hahha. I know it seems super obvious but I have a habit of getting all the complex things right and overlooking the small stuff. Lol
Old 05-03-2022, 02:41 PM
Registered

She's done and running. I am satisfied with the almost imperceptible movement of the pump. The tiny amount of movement is only present at the farthest point out and you really have to look to see it at all. The base does not move. I guess that points to runout in the pump itself. I'm calling it a win. It pumps water quite nicely too.

The following users liked this post:
TomZ (05-04-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Volvo Pumps are so simplistic to use.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tybass:
Basketcase (05-04-2022), TomZ (05-04-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.