Crank-mounted water pump?

Notices

Crank-mounted water pump?

Old 02-26-2022, 10:04 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
I understand what you’re saying, but if you use the bushings that I provided, the bolt circle aligns properly. The spacer plate was only used to keep the pump body away from the pulley. Even with the long-shaft pump, the pump body ends up close enough to make hose fitment a challenge. The way I have it set up works really well and the slight wiggle I have witnessed is probably due to pump shaft tolerance more than anything. The way the angle bracket is bushed/dampened indicates that some movement is expected.

i dont remember any bushing...
i just holes bigger than bolts and how is this going to keep pump center???
so i had my machine shop cut a depression in pulley to center..
The following users liked this post:
Craney (02-26-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 11:49 AM
BEACH PARTY / HOLLOWPOINT
Platinum Member

Received 1,333 Likes on 747 Posts

Cast GM pulleys used on Volvo and OMC engines have 1/2” alignment dowels to center the pump. The Merc stamped serpentine pulley doesn’t so I had to improvise.

In the pictures above (post #32), I showed parts for the bushings that I bought. The outer diameter was 1/2” and the inner was 3/8”. I cut the bushings down to the depth of the pump flange allowing 3/8 bolts to be run through the now narrower mounting points centering the pump. It was pretty simple and only a few bucks to make work. I didn’t have enough depth so I used the 3/8 spacer plate so I could work with my hoses.

Old 02-27-2022, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is the volvo penta set up i am going to swap to on my 350 scorpion ,delete that p.o.s bronze factory pump. The support bracket attaches to the inlet hose with a clamp ,the similar set up used by indmar uses a johnson pump with no clamp .there is a aluminum button that centers the belt pulley that is not found in mercs version
Old 02-27-2022, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

That’s an interesting setup. Looks like a replacement that would keep belts correct and everything.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by airjunky
This is the volvo penta set up i am going to swap to on my 350 scorpion ,delete that p.o.s bronze factory pump. The support bracket attaches to the inlet hose with a clamp ,the similar set up used by indmar uses a johnson pump with no clamp .there is a aluminum button that centers the belt pulley that is not found in mercs version
This is very interesting. Do you have any more info on this? It looks like the pump has threaded inlets for hose barbs which is nice because IMO the johnson pump barb is a little short.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by airjunky
I've looked into this a little more and I notice something. I'm sure you've done the research and have a plan. Just wondering what it is. It looks like that pulley will be much closer to the harmonic balancer than the Mercruiser pulley. Are you planning for a large spacer between the balancer and this pulley? It looks like a great solution, other than that I think I like not having to remove the hoses to swap the impeller on the other pump design. That's kinda splitting hairs though.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by flashgordon
i added closed coolant system several years ago...

added same pump...
works fine...

i found a range in prices...shop around got mine for 150 each but was 3-4 years ago..i also made made my brackets...for what they want for one ,,,i made two for half the cost..just some angle iron and welder...done

Looks good. Do your brackets take all the movement/shock out. I was just looking at where you converted back to AN and looks like a place to potentially crack. I’m just thinking out loud and getting plumbing ideas for my own.

Old 03-16-2022, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2 of the weiand blower pulley spacers take it out to about the same distance , the volvo pulley is about 3/4"larger diameter. If you have the room ,you can pull the 4 5/16 pump housing bolts for impeller swap with hoses on ,can be a pita getting new impeller in there though .just depends on what's in the way on the sides
Old 03-18-2022, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 77 Likes on 40 Posts

Jabsco Industries makes a decent crank driven pump.

Last edited by I'CE; 03-18-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2022, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

I’m using the 6-series version of this pump.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.