Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Changing the oil in a 32' Fever - Whats the best way to get the oil out? >

Changing the oil in a 32' Fever - Whats the best way to get the oil out?

Notices

Changing the oil in a 32' Fever - Whats the best way to get the oil out?

Old 11-21-2002, 10:23 AM
GNJ2

Default Changing the oil in a 32' Fever - Whats the best way to get the oil out?

Hello:

Can anyone shed some light here? Just bought the boat and the drain plugs are not accessable. Do I need to some how pump this out and how is this done? Twin 502 MPI motors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-21-2002, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 63 Posts

You pump the oil out through the dipstick. You can buy the pump, either electric or manual from West marine or any boating supply.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the blue "topsider" vacuum pump. About $30 at West marine. Make sure oil is warm when pumping for easy action.

BT
Old 11-21-2002, 02:44 PM
Registered

A couple of years back, I purchased an electric pump from West marine......It was $35 or so, then mounted it on a laundry detergent bucket w / velcro.......worked great.

Like Blue said above......take it for a spin, and it will come out easier. But if you ever have to pull youe engines, you can always put drain tubes on the oil pans.

RJ
Old 11-21-2002, 02:46 PM
Registered

Ohe yeah, I forgot to mentio, the reason I used the laundry bucket was because it has a lid (& I drilled a hole in it).

Also, the pump connects to the battery by a couple of alligator clips.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:46 PM
Registered

One of these days, I'll learn how to type !
Old 11-26-2002, 10:27 PM
daveg

I have about 5 or 6 manual & 12 volt marine pumps that I have bought over the years that didn't work worth a crap; too hard to get primed. Then a couple of years ago I bought a cheap one that uses an electric drill for power. This one works great - high rpms, primes right away, and pumps fast. I can't remember the brand though.

Old 11-27-2002, 08:45 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

I've tried the manual (sux), cheap electrics (sux), and a buddies $139 elctric from W. marine (great!). I'd recommend that you go with a cheap manual one and once you get it ALL out of the engine, pull the plug (yeah it's gonna make a small mess but suck it up for one time) completely drain the rest into the bilge to be wiped up, then install the drain tube/s which in the future are simply pulled thru the drain plug hole and drained into a bucket. After one little ordeal all the changes in the future will be a breeze and the drains will be complete drains getting all the sediment out...Good luck

Last edited by Reckless32; 11-27-2002 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with RECKLESS. Been in the same boat as he said. I bought a 3/8 (i think) reinforced hose apprx 4 feet long to attach to the pump and the other end to the drain hose. I have tried the dip stick method with the small hose into the dip-stick but feel it does not reach the bottom. The drain hose kits can be bought through either your local marine parts store or other mail order outfits as cp performance, rex, teague, etc. I would drain out the most oil you can before removing the drain plug to install the drain hose kit. The initial mess will be worth it in the long run. I would just splurge the $130. for the ready to go pump system from west marine. I modified mine with brass and copper fittings. The plastic fittings they come with suck. Just remember to warm the engines up for faster results. Good luck, let us know how you make out.