Best paint / gelcoat?

Notices

Best paint / gelcoat?

Old 11-21-2002, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Best paint / gelcoat?

Hi!

I will receive a 1994 Skater 28 in 4-5 weeks time. It is a bare hull only, and it has to be rerigged and restored completely. In addition to rigging, it has to be repainted.

Its a white hull, and I would be very happy if you could give me some advise for the best type of paint or gelcoat to use in saltwater. A professional company will do the work.

Thanks

Toffen - Norway
Old 11-21-2002, 10:32 PM
454hoho

Smile

paint most like imron,very durable but toxic to breath. even when just mixing up a batch (use positive air flow mask)

Old 11-21-2002, 11:03 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The new Gellcoats are getting MUCH better. You can add Durratech and things get even better. I did my boat in Gell and I am VERY happy. It was not that bad to sand it down either. I did my 30 foot Formula in about the equivelent of a day or two MAX. Awlgrip is the way I would go after Gell. Imron although good is not as strong as Awlgrip.

Jon
Old 11-22-2002, 04:58 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Best paint / gel?

Hi!

Thanks guys!

Do you know where to buy the best gelcoat and Duratech + Awlgrip?

Cheers, Toffen
Old 11-22-2002, 08:46 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I got all my stuff from a place in RI called Composites One. www.composites1.com They were close to me so the price that I paid included delivery by their own truck so I did not have to pay any high shipping costs for dangerous material.

Jon
Old 11-22-2002, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audiofn,

You re-gel-koated then painted? If so, would not one or the other been enough. I plan on painting my boat this winter and I am trying to figure out which way to go.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gelcoat is the best, but requires the most work. Preps the same but a lot of wet sanding and buffing. The end result is much better looking than paint. Problem is it will fade after several years in the sun and salt. Wax helps but paints will not fade for many years. Painting over gelcoat isn't the solution either.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:28 PM
jr

Does anyone have any ideas on how much it would cost to re-gel coat a 26' boat. Mine stays in for the summers so I don't know of any paints like Imron that can take that with out bubbling.

Jeff

Old 11-22-2002, 11:31 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally posted by Ken
Audiofn,

You re-gel-koated then painted? If so, would not one or the other been enough. I plan on painting my boat this winter and I am trying to figure out which way to go.
No I did not paint over the Gell. Sorry I can see how you may have thought that

OK as far as prep work to get to gell it is FAR less. You finih sand is 80 grit. No wet sanding before you paint, and if you have a pin hole you can just take a razor and fill it in. The post paint with Gell is more work.

When you paint you have to sand, prime, wet sand, and paint. This takes a while as you can imagine

No picknick either is the Gell. IMO it was MUCH easier. First off all you do is sand with 80 grit and fill in anything you have to and you are good to go. NO prime unless you want to prime with the Durratech primer. I did the prime were I broke through the paint and did repairs. Other then that I just let the old Gell be the base. From there I used the Durrateck with the Gell and it made for a more durrable longer lasting finish. From there you sand and buff to finish.

Basically the two end out with the same amount of work. I think it can be done faster with the gell. Prep work is TOTALLY KEY on either proceedure. Gell coat does not guarantee agains NO blisters. If you mix the Durratech with it, not only does it have a better cure and you do not have to add the waxing agents but also it makes the Gell MUCH more impurvious to water. Hope all this helps and if you have any other questions just ask.

Oh ya if I do graphics (still trying to figure out something) I will have to paint it on (probably awlgrip) then clear over it. There is a clear gell coat but I have NO info on that.

Jon
Old 11-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. How much gel did you go through?

Quick Reply: Best paint / gelcoat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.