454 TBI Motor needs a top end >

454 TBI Motor needs a top end

Notices

454 TBI Motor needs a top end

Old 02-08-2022, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 454 TBI Motor needs a top end

I have FWC Marine Power 454 TBI motors, They have Peanut port heads, They are in my big heavy cabin cruiser that has a realistic cruise rpm of around 3500 rpm.
Did a leakdown test and found my stbd motor to have an exhaust valve hanging open. So now to go over my options, cost effectiveness is obviously a major goal but machine work is generally high in my area as opposed to other areas of the country. I could have my heads done and put it back together and be done with it but I'm not against doing any upgrades while I am at it also but the biggest concern is loosing my low end tq. in a perfect world I'd just grab a pair of speedmaster oval port heads and put them on as I will spend atleast half the cost of these for machine work, toss a cheap aluminum intake on while there, again I am FWC and engines are inside the boat. I know people hate on these heads, I have used ProComps in the past with good luck on other projects, not sure if they have got better or worst. Dyno charts are pretty much useless to see what if any I would loose for TQ down low as they all start in the 3k rpm range or so and go up, obviously at that RPM pretty much all aftermarket heads will have more HP and TQ then factories.

Anyway just wondering everyone's thoughts, best bet to just have my heads done and put her back together?
Old 02-08-2022, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Put an ad in the wanted section for 2 pair of take offs. I had 2 new take offs I left downstate in my shop when I sold years ago. I would have given them away. Like 12 hours of run time. I wouldn’t bother to change intakes etc. be real careful with your choice of aftermarket heads and your gonna have to have them go to a machine shop also to have set up properly, clearances, components etc.

Seriously try and find someone with relatively fresh take offs. I’d think there’s several just sitting taking up space.

JMO

Last edited by getrdunn; 02-08-2022 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Seriously try and find someone with relatively fresh take offs. I’d think there’s several just sitting taking up space.
JMO

Good idea, Ad posted!