steering fluid coolers >

steering fluid coolers

Notices

steering fluid coolers

Old 03-18-2022, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
when the boats running and not turning the fluid goes from the pump to the helm then back to the reservoir, only when turning is the helm sending fluid to and from the rams, the helm is a valve that directs fluid........I think I got that right........
Sounds correct, and in my case it gets cooled on the way back to the reservoir.
Old 03-18-2022, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Not saying anyone need or doesn’t need a ps cooler. Just adding more info below:

Mercruiser’s small blocks have no engine oil coolers but have ps coolers. They are short and wide open inside. Nothing can get stuck in the water passage. Ie: can’t block water flow.

i’ve relaced a ton of Chevrolet pick up and Suburban ps coolers. Things corrode up here in the land if overly salted roads.

Below is merc style ps cooler.

I picked up one of these on eBay for under $50. Like you said no coolers on oil on merc sbc setups. I put one of these in on P/S and bought a bigger one for my oil. There is substantial friction from that pump on the engine. Could you be fine without it… probably. I seriously considered it myself. But 1.25” hose is cheap, cooler was $50. regardless of your cooling setup should be pretty easy to rig up on the return side. I’d prefer to spend a few bucks on my cooling system than risk damage to my rack or my pump on my I/O setup.

Last edited by Xcomunic8d; 03-19-2022 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 167 Posts

I guess this summer I'll be checking the temps on my lines and helm pump. Just out of curiosity.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Sb and I are not talking about seastar style setups.

We’re talking about I/O setups. You’ll have a fairly large engine constantly turning the power steering pump that fluid is used in actuating the rack and pinion on the transom assembly. That fluid gets really hot. Most cars have a dedicated P/S cooler or it is part of the radiator. boats typically have a heat exchanger cooled by raw water. I’ve never heard of a sea star setup needing a cooler and wouldn’t mess with it unless recommended. But as another person posted it gets hot. Which makes sense as fluid doesn’t like compression but I’d want proof Seastar setups needed it before doing that.

hope that makes sense.
Old 03-19-2022, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Tha system I have is IMCO full hyd. The reason I have a question about this my engine oil cooler and steering cooler are all in one 21" long. If I do away with the steering cooler I can install a longer engine oil cooler. If I knew how to post pictures I would.
Old 03-19-2022, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

click the square box next to the smiley face on the header to post pictures
Old 03-19-2022, 10:25 AM
Registered

Old 03-19-2022, 10:26 AM
Registered

This is the picture of the oil cooler. Thanks for the help with uploading pictures.