Volvo Penta 5.7 spark issue >

Volvo Penta 5.7 spark issue

Notices

Volvo Penta 5.7 spark issue

Old 03-21-2022, 10:35 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 818 Likes on 379 Posts

He has no spark EVER past the center of the distributor.

yes, SB that is the correct distributor. The rotor and cap are brand new OEM. I have wondered if the rotor was the wrong size. I’ll get my micrometer out and measure to see how much distance is between rotor and points. There is a sensor on the bottom starboard side of the crank, which I assumed was a crank position sensor. I hadn’t even considered that it might be TBI, nor did I look closely. I’ll confirm.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 118 Posts

Just for grins what happens if you put a timing light on one of the wires ? Thats what I usually use as a spark tester. If its getting "spark" to the center of the cap then it has to be going somewhere. Any signs of carbon tracking in the distributor ? Those caps are famous for cay problems. If everything else checks out I would get an AC Delco cap and rotor and see what happens. Pretty sure the ones for a 1999 Chevy Tahoe 5.7 would be correct.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:23 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

So, for ****s and giggles, take off cap and see if the rotor can turn back and forth a tad. there should be near 0 play. If the dist gear is worn (have heard, but not seen, this happens here or there on the gm trucks with this dist) then you can get where no spark to plugs but yet still out of coil , when engine cranks.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:31 AM
SB
Registered

Lol bill k. We typed at same time and started same way. Lol
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (03-30-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
So, for ****s and giggles, take off cap and see if the rotor can turn back and forth a tad. there should be near 0 play. If the dist gear is worn (have heard, but not seen, this happens here or there on the gm trucks with this dist) then you can get where no spark to plugs but yet still out of coil , when engine cranks.
Im still confused why a carbed engine has a crank sensor and points......is the little metal springy thingy on the rotor touching the center of the cap where the coil wire connects
SB (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 11:35 AM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
Im still confused why a carbed engine has a crank sensor and points......is the little metal springy thingy on the rotor touching the center of the cap where the coil wire connects
It won’t have a carb with that dist and crank sensor. OP, like many i run into snd get calls from, mistake the gm tbi for a carb when the air cleaner or arrestor is still on.

This is why i had to have him clarify some things.
Old 03-29-2022, 08:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 818 Likes on 379 Posts

So, I was out of town and haven’t gotten back with him, but he stumbled across this post, rewired the speedo and it’s back to running perfect.

odd, but thanks….. And, yes it’s TBI. I hadn’t given it much thought but assumed it was Carb based on only recalling what the arrestor looked like….
articfriends (03-30-2022)