Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Electric Power Steering Pump >

Electric Power Steering Pump

Notices

Electric Power Steering Pump

Old 08-22-2024, 05:14 AM
Registered

Received 895 Likes on 331 Posts

Any new info on this subject? I bought two 8LV 370 Yanmars from Mastry last winter to repower a 40’ CC. Recently uncrated them and realized the dealer sold me the inboard versions despite knowing I had a stern drive set up. The inboard version has no power steering hardware and is not readily convertible.
There’s no simple solution because the sterndrive units have an exhaust configuration that’s equally problematic. They are working on a quote on a hybrid set up but I’m not really wanting to go down that road with this shop.
They suggested electric but I’m not aware of any compatible with #6 drives.
Looking in to it as a long shot before I return the engines and start over.
Old 08-22-2024, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 4,813 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoodoo 2.0
Any new info on this subject? I bought two 8LV 370 Yanmars from Mastry last winter to repower a 40’ CC. Recently uncrated them and realized the dealer sold me the inboard versions despite knowing I had a stern drive set up. The inboard version has no power steering hardware and is not readily convertible.
There’s no simple solution because the sterndrive units have an exhaust configuration that’s equally problematic. They are working on a quote on a hybrid set up but I’m not really wanting to go down that road with this shop.
They suggested electric but I’m not aware of any compatible with #6 drives.
Looking in to it as a long shot before I return the engines and start over.

(1) 135-20020 florida

(2) 625-4256 florida

(1) 421-32 nevada

Here is what Imco had to say about using the 421-32 with #6 drive.

It certainly will, but max helm control size is 80cc/pump which would be 6.5 turns lock to lock with a single M6 and 1 pump. I'll attach a 2 pump option.
in response to :"Also I`m looking at 421-32, what is the availability on those ? (Id have to see if that’s enough volume for a #6 drive)"

Part numbers are from CP
​​​​​​​Good luck
Old 08-22-2024, 10:50 AM
Registered

Thanks for the flow info.
Will Smith at Phantom said imco has what I need but he didn’t have details.
Old 08-22-2024, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 4,813 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Attached Files
Old 08-22-2024, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 944 Likes on 344 Posts

biggest thing for me is look at the amp draw of one of them.
Old 08-23-2024, 05:18 AM
Registered

That’s a lot. The 370’s come with 180 amp alternator’s and the system is available with manual on/off switches or an on demand auto set up.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
biggest thing for me is look at the amp draw of one of them.
The amp draw shown is a "possible or up to amp draw". It doesn't pull those amps anytime you turn the wheel does it? The only reason they offered up a 2-pump solution was because of the volume of oil needed to move a pair of #6's correct? I think he said 6.5 turns lock to lock with a single? What would be some of the reasons that would cause these pumps to go to max amp draw? Could be in this scenario they run at the minimum amp draw all the time.
Old 08-23-2024, 07:01 AM
Registered

I’ll know more later today but for me it looks like it solves more problems than it creates. I’d like to incorporate auto pilot, but either way should work with my set up. This isn’t really a typical pleasure boat, it’s being set up for long runs into the gulf or down to the tortugas for bottom fishing/trolling and occasional sandbar hangouts.

Old 08-23-2024, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 944 Likes on 344 Posts

dont know when it pulls what amps but I do know that on the outboards with electric assist they are having problems with them blowing fuses and overheating when you do a lot of steering, say when you are pulling a tube and turning back and forth or such. one I deal with had an 80 amp fuse that popped but I dont know if it was due to something else as the boat is wired in a strange way to me. most of them have a 90 amp fuse on them which is what we replace this one with and so far so good. do a search for steering assist problems on the outboards and there are lots and lots but no answer to how to fix it other than adding cooling.
Old Today, 01:10 AM
Registered

Received 185 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by PQ290Enticer
The amp draw shown is a "possible or up to amp draw". It doesn't pull those amps anytime you turn the wheel does it? The only reason they offered up a 2-pump solution was because of the volume of oil needed to move a pair of #6's correct? I think he said 6.5 turns lock to lock with a single? What would be some of the reasons that would cause these pumps to go to max amp draw? Could be in this scenario they run at the minimum amp draw all the time.
It's all about pressure and flow. More flow at rated pressure requires more power. Comes down to the size/volume of the steering cylinders.

If no steering input...then once the pressure is achieved, the bypass valve opens. Minimal amperage from elec motors.

Make a lot of lock to lock turns really fast will draw a lot of current. 12v system is 62amps/hp output @746 watts.

Why Tesla went with a 48v system.