Notices

Swain Coatings

Old 04-29-2022, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,411 Posts
Question Swain Coatings

Thoughts on piston coatings ?
Domes and skirts ...
$52/piston .. pretty sure it`s good insurance.

TBC™ Ceramic Thermal Barrier:

For most naturally aspirated and mild boost motors TBC™ is our tried and true ceramic thermal barrier coating. Swain’s TBC™ has come a long way since it started the internal engine coating revolution back in the 1970’s. Now in its 5th generation of development, Swain’s TBC™ uses Swain’s exclusive “Smart Coat” technology which allows the ceramic to expand at the same rate as the piston. TBC™ coated pistons run cooler and retain much more of their tensile strength. TBC™ protects against high temperature oxidation, eliminates hot spots, and encourages proper flame travel. The ceramic also spreads the heat evenly over the entire coated surface reducing detonation, pre-ignition and allowing the use of lower octane fuel. Less heat is conducted through the wrist pins and rods keeping the crank, bearings, oil and entire
bottom end cooler.

GoldCoat™ Ceramic Armor™ Ceramic Thermal Barrier:

As the use of Nitrous, Turbo Chargers and Super Chargers have become common place; Swain Tech developed GoldCoat™ Ceramic Armor™ to protect piston tops in these demanding motors. GoldCoat™ offers the same benefits of TBC™, but adds an extra layer of extra high temperature ceramic to provide even more protection at higher temperatures. GoldCoat™ deals with the heat spikes and thermal shock of boosted motors better than any other piston coating.

Piston Skirts

Poly Moly™ Solid Film Lubricant:

In addition to power being lost through heat, power is also lost due to excessive friction. Poly Moly™ has an extremely low coefficient of friction, reduces scuffing caused by piston movement and provides back-up lubrication if your primary lubrication fails or has gone beyond its load limits.

Unlike the simple “break in” skirt coatings that are now being offered by piston manufacturers and OEM’s, Poly Moly™ is designed to be a permanent solid film lubricant coating.

PC-9™ Solid Film Lubricant:

PC-9™ is Swain Tech Coatings’ latest generation of piston skirt coating. PC-9™ has the same low friction properties of Poly Moly™, but PC-9™ is even tougher.

As part of Swain Tech Coatings’ continued commitment to product development, PC-9™ has been engineered to meet the demands of today’s high revving, short piston skirt, and long rod motors. PC-9 works well with nickasil, chrome or iron cylinder bores.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

I've had a lot of pistons, bearings, and headers coated by Swain Tech. I've tried others too. They are absolutely the best. It's never came off. You will see a few HP out of piston and cylinder head coatings.
I highly recommend Swain Tech coatings.
The following 4 users liked this post by Smitty275:
articfriends (05-02-2022), getrdunn (04-29-2022), ICDEDPPL (04-29-2022), the deep (04-30-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty275
I've had a lot of pistons, bearings, and headers coated by Swain Tech. I've tried others too. They are absolutely the best. It's never came off. You will see a few HP out of piston and cylinder head coatings.

Thats good to hear first hand!!! 👍

In regards to the pistons do they outlast the rebuild time? Seems like after 500 hard hours I’ve just replaced in the past.

Last edited by getrdunn; 04-29-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 452 Likes on 270 Posts

I just had mine done by line 2 line with their ablative coating
The following 2 users liked this post by underpsi68:
ICDEDPPL (04-29-2022), the deep (04-30-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 09:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty275

smitty what coating do you put on the cylinder heads?
Old 04-29-2022, 09:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by underpsi68
I just had mine done by line 2 line with their ablative coating

I hear they are also very good
Old 05-01-2022, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
smitty what coating do you put on the cylinder heads?
I think it's called TBC. It's white in color.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:39 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,272 Likes on 556 Posts

Anybody can type anything on their website.

Is there any technical documentation readily available that proves their claims? I'd be interested if so.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

I have used swain tech with positive and mediocre results. On my 1100 hp blower motor, I sent my Je pistons in, had them do the gold/ceramic coat top and skirts with whatever they put on to keep them slippery. at 100 hrs for teardown and inspection the gold coat on top was 100% intact and had done its job well, there was no signs of any burnt oil on bottom side of pistons at all which tells me it keeps the heat from going into the piston. I ran as much as 13.5/14 lbs of boost and it got held on dash before for as much as 10 minutes. I also ran my 2618 jes at .005 to .0055 piston to wall and had no skirt damage whatsover from expansion. The skirt coating was worn partly off. previously at the 900 hp level I did the pistons AND also sent them my new afr cylinder heads, exhaust valves, etc and had them do the white tbc coating. that stuff was 90% gone at 100 hrs , it was a total waste of money for that long of a rebuild interval (100 hrs) as it was pretty much gone.
I also had diamond racing do a set of their pistons in house with their version of coatings , stuff was partially gone at 35 hrs when I tore heads off to change some stuff around, was a total waste of money. I have also sent used pistons to line to line to have skirts built up to tighten them back up in a high hp NA methanol bbc (mud play truck engine) I freshened, stuff seemed to work good, they blew it up from amateur tuning mistakes in less than 10 hrs and lack of maintenance so I didnt get to see it in the long run fwiw, Smitty
The following 2 users liked this post by articfriends:
getrdunn (05-02-2022), Gimme Fuel (05-04-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

why didn't J & E just coat them b4 they shipped ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.