OT- need info about nitrous >

OT- need info about nitrous

Notices

OT- need info about nitrous

Old 11-25-2002, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Nitrous is a cool-burning fuel. The expansion of the compressed gas creates a very cool charge. The nitrogen in the mix is a damping agent and as the Germans discovered, they could feed it to their fighter planes as long as they needed to get above the allies and drop onto their backs.

Most boat lakerace situations only need 15-20 seconds of hit to "win". Also, at topspeed, a momentary hit of the bottle can free the hull up so that when you let off the button, the boat remains at that elevated speed (getting over the hump - lifting another strake free or whatever).

Tim, am guessing that a hidden system is of premium importance??? Get a couple of 8D diesel battery cases from a truck shop (leave the guts with them cause that is what they send in for recycling). Hollow out the battery cases and keep your bottle & hi pressure solenoid in there (gasoline solenoid somewhere else). Can run your lines through red and black battery cable insulator to the starter area (can remove it from the cables by boiling it in water then slipping it off)... just ideas.
Old 11-25-2002, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree the people at nitriousexpress are the ones to talk to.A properly set up system on a modified engine is expensive to set up and run.You will need a timing control module a fuel cell,3-4 gal.,for racing gas properly located nozzles and a reliable fuel system.After this figure the price of nos and racing gas,one season can get expensive.On a stock engine you can use a more production type system,but if engine is highly modified its needs to be a custom system..
Old 11-25-2002, 03:00 PM
Registered

when i use to street race a friend had some dummy water outlets put in his intake and the steel braided lines ran through them up to the firewall where the heater core use to be. On more than one occasion i hadto disassamble a solenoid to clean some trash out, also the smaller selenoids dont seem to like heat a whole lot.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:47 PM
Registered

Originally posted by 26scarab
Oh God ,
I think I would rather have bamboo splinters shoved under my fingernails than watching the " The Fast and the Furious" !!!

One question, Why would the engine need to be cooled down after spraying it ? If you engine is heating up when you spraying it you've got problems
Sayn it because theres a place to mount the bottle.

Dont tell me you guys dont think a 4 cyl is fast
LOL!!!!!!!

I forgot for a while there that N2O adds a cooling effect...
Old 11-25-2002, 07:36 PM
Registered

Paint your bottle red and put a hose and dummy gauge on it to make it look like a fire extenguisher. I like the MSD box solenoid idea.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT mount your solenoids inside your engine !!! They are not designed to work in that type of environment. Hidding them in a marine application your best choice is a fake box, or inside your flame arrestor. The further you mount the solenoids away you will also need to change your tune-up. The key problem to running a system like this under your intake manifold is that you will need to remove the intake manifold any time you want to change or fine tune the calibration.

The simplest thing to do is to have someone put spray bars (like from a plate) into the back of your intake manifold. You would then just change the jets there to change the tune up. You can run the lines to the back of your hull covering them in larger rubber hose, or covering the rest of your hoses with steel braid so that it all blends in. With all of the lines there most people would not notice it.

Word of advice, make sure to use some type of timing retard device like an MSD box, use a seperate electric fuel pump (with two pressure switches to disarm the system if you loose fuel or oil pressure) Run a W.O.T. ( Wide Open Throttle ) switch so that as soon as you lift off W.O.T. your system will shut off.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:18 PM
Registered

Originally posted by HyperBaja
Sayn it because theres a place to mount the bottle.

Dont tell me you guys dont think a 4 cyl is fast
LOL!!!!!!!

I forgot for a while there that N2O adds a cooling effect...
When its really hot and humid my tunnel ram will frost over about 1/3 of the way down the runners. The plates are always white after a spray down, and sometimes get 'frosty' on hot humid days from the carbs alone....

Don't think we'll be seeing any VTEC's in marine apps EVER!
Old 11-26-2002, 05:26 PM
Registered

Hyperbaja; do you have any link to cool-priced turbo systems?
Old 11-26-2002, 05:54 PM
Registered

Tim, the person to talk to about turbos would be JUST ONCE. He took a turbo and intercooler from a junk yard and put them into a saturn....
Hmmm.... I wonder if that car is for sale, I gotta get a car soon...

try www.greddy.com
www.HKSUSA.com
Old 11-26-2002, 07:48 PM
Registered

thnx hyper!

Quick Reply: OT- need info about nitrous

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.