1989ish Merc 454 fuel pump

Old 08-25-2022, 09:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 786 Posts
Default 1989ish Merc 454 fuel pump

Guys,

Next puzzle…..

So last year, we sold our ‘89 Rinker 236 Sport Cuddy to some friends of ours; their first boat. It came stock with a Merc 454 carb engine, no idea of the model. It had had some work done to it prior to our ownership, bored .060” over, mild cam, Edelbrock intake and carb, etc. I replaced the Edelbrock 650 automotive carb with a Holley 750 marine carb. Again, don’t remember the model, but it has jet plates, not screw-in jets. I had also installed a fuel pressure gage with the new carb. We had it running pretty good. Anyhow….

Last weekend, while rolling onto the throttle to take off, he noticed a bit of a sag, or hesitation, which was new. The next day or so he hooked it up to the hose and ran it in his driveway. He noticed that, at idle, it had ~6lbs of fuel pressure, but that dropped to 4.5-5lbs at about 2K RPM. Thinking the fuel pump had gone soft, he ordered what he thought was a replacement. When it arrived, he pulled the fuel pump off, only to realize two things: He’d bought the wrong pump, and that there was apparently supposed to be a spring on the pump pushrod, and it’s now gone.

I know this is a stab in the dark, with damned little to go on, but…..

Is this pump supposed to have a spring, presumably to hold the pushrod against the cam? If so, where would it have gone? He’s worried about the possibility of it floating loose in the oil pan, and I honestly don’t know one way or the other.

Would an electric conversion be a viable fix? I know there are pumps with built in regulators and block off plate available. Just not sure if it’s always an option.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 08-26-2022, 05:54 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Very lengthy for a simple question. Lol. The fuel pump arm keeps pressure on the rod and there is no spring in between. Also pretty difficult to get anything other than oil between the rod and block.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

Brad,
I have never heard of a Chevy fuel pump having a separate "spring" to hold the pushrod against the cam. The spring in the diaphragm assembly does that. It just looks like a generic Chevy marine fuel pump. Which one did he buy and what is "wrong" about it ?

Look at a Carter pump. You might have to turn the housing to get the inlet and outlet where you need it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m60501
The following users liked this post:
OLDRAT (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 06:15 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,382 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Yup, should be spring under the arm. Not on the pushrod.

Last edited by SB; 08-26-2022 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:40 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SB
Yup, should be spring under the arm. Not on the pushrod.

SB,

So, I guess the question is, where did the spring go? Is it laying harmlessly in the bilge? Or is it bouncing around inside the crankcase, looking for trouble to get into?. That's the million dollar question at this point.

Also... Would he be better off going electric?

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 08-26-2022 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 312 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm assuming your talking abt the anti-float spring under the lever attached to the fuel pump.
The pushrod goes thru a "tunnel" and there's not a lot of clearance around the sides. Don't think that spring could get past the pushrod. Its most likely laying in the bilge.

I'm running these pumps with an adjustable fuel press regulator.
https://claysmithcams.com/ppf-11-1-b...cal-fuel-pump/

Fuel press is rock solid all the time. Unfortunately, seems they are out of stock at the moment.
Old 08-26-2022, 12:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by zz28zz
I'm assuming your talking abt the anti-float spring under the lever attached to the fuel pump.
The pushrod goes thru a "tunnel" and there's not a lot of clearance around the sides. Don't think that spring could get past the pushrod. Its most likely laying in the bilge.

I'm running these pumps with an adjustable fuel press regulator.
https://claysmithcams.com/ppf-11-1-b...cal-fuel-pump/

Fuel press is rock solid all the time. Unfortunately, seems they are out of stock at the moment.
ZZ,

Yes. The anti-float spring under the actuator lever is missing, and the friend's biggest concern was where it went. It sounds like there is nothing to worry about. Good news. He's already got a proper replacement on the way. It'll just be a matter of putting it all back together and taking it for a spin. Don't kow if we've solved the sag/hesitation thing that kicked all this off, but it may not have been a real to begin with. We'll see.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 08-26-2022, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,301 Likes on 1,480 Posts

if there's a plate that the fuel pump arm goes through ? the spring may be laying in the bottom where the plate bolts to the block, see if you can fish it with a magnet or hook

The following users liked this post:
zz28zz (08-29-2022)
Old 08-26-2022, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Anyone know how to remove the fuel pump arm after pin removal. There’s part of the casting in the way. Sure it’s there for a reason but looked at this thing long enough.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Guys,

So, new fuel pump is in and hold really goo fuel pressure. But....

The boat still has a slight sag, or hesitation, if he gets into the throttle too heavy at take-off; like a ski pull. Boat runs fine, otherwise. My guess is an accelerator pump issue, but I'm a rank amateur at best. Any solid guesses? Places to start the trouble shoot?

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.