I just cant leave anything alone !!! >

I just cant leave anything alone !!!

Notices

I just cant leave anything alone !!!

Old 10-03-2022, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by techman
I've spoken my peace about modifying this boat, which is a good looking Chap, by the way.

I've had Volvo's and DP's in my previous two boats which were Cobalt's. I can attest that the DP's are tough! I was enjoying a WOT blast down the local river when I t-boned a submerged log at top speed. The boat made a slight jolt but kept on going. Back to the ramp quickly to see what happened. The Skeg was gone and the prop set was mangled to the point where I had no idea how it was producing thrust or wasn't shaking itself to death. Repaired the prop set, new skeg welded on, and some paint and it looked brand new. That drive never gave me an ounce of trouble. No leaks, smooth shifts, etc. The VP motors are pretty much pulled off of the GM assembly line painted orange and given a marine ECM more or less. So they aren't fussy and have some nice features like the sea pump and fresh water flushing. Easy access to just about all service points.

Good luck finding more speed. I like the idea of ditching as much weight as you can.
Season is quickly grinding to a halt here in GA... so I wont get much accomplished this year anymore.

The weight onboard is a battle I have been fighting with my wife.
While she is a fit and trim 117lbs... she brings every conceivable trinket onboard that she can carry... EVERY SINGLE TIME. Chairs, umbrellas, shoes, extra clothes, towels, food, drinks, coolers, purse, phone, laptop, charger, etc... Probably 2-300lbs worth of crap every time we get on the boat.

The only answer here is a lot more horsepower... or do nothing and be satisfied with 55mph.
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:05 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 486 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art
Your reply triggered a distant memory from a time when I had a Corvette. This was about 10 years ago... bone stock 2005 Corvette with the 400hp LS2 in it. It had a tune and mild mods done to it and made 396rwhp.

I had a guy roll up behind me one time in a 4dr Honda Accord. As we approached a traffic light (just the two of us) he ducked over into the lane next to me and lined-up at the red light. I thought this was suspect and immediately figured "game-on" this dude wants a piece of my Vette...
Light turns green and this SOB in the Accord took off like a bullet. I reeled him in and drove past him... but not without sweating it a bit. The little Honda must have been a turbo car because I barely caught and passed him.

Anyway... that night the search for a supercharger began.
I ended up with an A&A supercharger @ 12psi, Alkycontrol Meth injection kit, Fast LS2 intake, Stainless Works 1-7/8" headers, cat deletes, 3" dual exhaust and Flowmaster mufflers.

On the chassis dyno at Race Proven Motorsports it made 636rwhp.

All because I almost lost to a Honda.

True story.
Kind of like being smoked by a toon. lol You def have the disease. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Dragracer_Art (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 451 Likes on 220 Posts

The weight onboard is a battle I have been fighting with my wife.
While she is a fit and trim 117lbs... she brings every conceivable trinket onboard that she can carry... EVERY SINGLE TIME. Chairs, umbrellas, shoes, extra clothes, towels, food, drinks, coolers, purse, phone, laptop, charger, etc... Probably 2-300lbs worth of crap every time we get on the boat.
I hear you!

At the end of the season when I empty the boat of everything and it probably is 200lbs worth of "stuff". OK, the safety gear I need, but I would love to ditch the comfort items, but got to keep the wife happy! Heck when I fill up the boat with gas I'm always thinking there goes my top speed!

The following 2 users liked this post by techman:
Dragracer_Art (10-03-2022), the deep (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by techman
I hear you!

At the end of the season when I empty the boat of everything and it probably is 200lbs worth of "stuff". OK, the safety gear I need, but I would love to ditch the comfort items, but got to keep the wife happy! Heck when I fill up the boat with gas I'm always thinking there goes my top speed!
Yeah that was a consideration on my 55mph run the last time. It had a full 80gal tank of gas in it... so next time I thrash on it I will try to be below 1/2 tank and carrying minimum clutter onboard.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by the deep
Kind of like being smoked by a toon. lol You def have the disease. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We are on Lake Lanier here in GA. There are a few rockets on the lake... but most of the fast stuff buzzing past me are bass boats or jet skis... neither of which do I have the wallet to beat.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I know you`re going to do what want and everyone should find out the hard way but just a little story .....when I got my boat 10 years ago, I was lucky to get 80mph on a cool day with low fuel and one passenger.
For 9 years I tried to get to 100mph , I played with drives, drive heights, props, blowers , intercoolers, heads, cams, New carbs, then fuel injection, engines, etc, etc .
Last year with the 8.3 Whipples I hit 95mph at 10 psi using 1000+hp.
okay , let`s turn it up to 12psi and additional 150+hp each engine, I hit 95mph. Seems like the hull just said yeah , that`s all I got .

I bought mine for $50k
When I stopped counting I had $400k in it .
Yes , new interior, gas tanks, transom, trailer redo, engine rebuilds are in that total .
I like your boat .. it`s perfect. I enjoy the crap out of a 19` Yamaha jet boat . Put more hrs on it this year then I ever did with the cig and it`s turn key.

Good luck, I hope your get to your goals.
The following 7 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
87MirageIntruder (10-03-2022), Dragracer_Art (10-03-2022), DrFeelgood (10-03-2022), Griff (10-03-2022), speicher lane (10-03-2022), the deep (10-03-2022), TomZ (10-04-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 01:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I know you`re going to do what want and everyone should find out the hard way but just a little story .....when I got my boat 10 years ago, I was lucky to get 80mph on a cool day with low fuel and one passenger.
For 9 years I tried to get to 100mph , I played with drives, drive heights, props, blowers , intercoolers, heads, cams, New carbs, then fuel injection, engines, etc, etc .
Last year with the 8.3 Whipples I hit 95mph at 10 psi using 1000+hp.
okay , let`s turn it up to 12psi and additional 150+hp each engine, I hit 95mph. Seems like the hull just said yeah , that`s all I got .

I bought mine for $50k
When I stopped counting I had $400k in it .
Yes , new interior, gas tanks, transom, trailer redo, engine rebuilds are in that total .
I like your boat .. it`s perfect. I enjoy the crap out of a 19` Yamaha jet boat . Put more hrs on it this year then I ever did with the cig and it`s turn key.

Good luck, I hope your get to your goals.
Ugh.
I paid exactly $45k for mine and probably already have another few grand into new Fusion stereo, Amp, sub and speakers... Garmin GPS, spare parts, transportation from LOTO to Atlanta, etc...

It seems the faster you want to go, it gets exponentially more difficult and expensive... that's why I 'kinda figured 65mph should be a realistic cap on my goals... since it's only 10mph. I understand it's about the limit of a duo-prop/B3 setup and it's only a few MPH over the stock capability.

If nothing else... I will build a 2nd engine for this boat and if it doesn't do what I want... I will find an old Camaro to drop it in instead.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,238 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art
Ugh.
I paid exactly $45k for mine and probably already have another few grand into new Fusion stereo, Amp, sub and speakers... Garmin GPS, spare parts, transportation from LOTO to Atlanta, etc...

It seems the faster you want to go, it gets exponentially more difficult and expensive... that's why I 'kinda figured 65mph should be a realistic cap on my goals... since it's only 10mph. I understand it's about the limit of a duo-prop/B3 setup and it's only a few MPH over the stock capability.

If nothing else... I will build a 2nd engine for this boat and if it doesn't do what I want... I will find an old Camaro to drop it in instead.
Dragracer,

Cubic Dollars....

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Dragracer_Art (10-04-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 07:41 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Do this to the bottom of your hull. Might add a couple mph. Lol.
I was talking earlier about hull surfaces and a kneeboard that I had years ago that would glide forever compared to any other kneeboard.
Maybe it would work on a boat ???

Dragracer_Art (10-04-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 867 Likes on 325 Posts

After reading his OP "I am in talks with Larry Hofer at Raylar Engineering and he tells me I need to find a GXi ECM for the easiest way to make his stage1 525hp top end work... so that hunt is currently ongoing."

So did Mercury crack down on reprogramming ECU's on inboards too? I thought it was only the outboard market but havent done any mods in forever. Does anybody still reprogram inboard ECU's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.