Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I just cant leave anything alone !!! >

I just cant leave anything alone !!!

Notices

I just cant leave anything alone !!!

Old 10-04-2022, 05:14 AM
Registered

Received 117 Likes on 60 Posts

Looking at a set of Dana Marine manifolds right now... these are supposed to be good for 40+hp out of the box.
Apparently the VP manifolds and stupid-tall risers are horribly restrictive.

Currently in talks with Marine Industries West trying to figure out a riser/spacer combo that will work with my system. May need to shorten my Corsa drop tubes to the Y-pipe to lower the system a couple inches... or stack Dana spacers to raise the Dana system.

Just need to get busy with a tape measure.

https://www.marineindustrieswest.com...productid=3670
Old 10-04-2022, 05:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
After reading his OP "I am in talks with Larry Hofer at Raylar Engineering and he tells me I need to find a GXi ECM for the easiest way to make his stage1 525hp top end work... so that hunt is currently ongoing."

So did Mercury crack down on reprogramming ECU's on inboards too? I thought it was only the outboard market but havent done any mods in forever. Does anybody still reprogram inboard ECU's?
Mine is a Volvo Penta drive-by-wire system and apparently nobody tunes them. I've tried everywhere... Whipple, Hardin, MEFI Bob, etc...

Larry Hofer said the GXi ECM is a plug-n-play upgrade to my Gi ECM and will work with his 525hp heads/cam package. He also speaks highly of the Dana Marine manifolds noted in my previous reply.
A GXi-H ECM, part# 3889007 is what should work in my 2007 boat... but very difficult to source one.
The current engine/ECM:
Attached Thumbnails I just cant leave anything alone !!!-20220914_172410.jpg   I just cant leave anything alone !!!-20220914_172405.jpg   I just cant leave anything alone !!!-20220914_172401.jpg  

Last edited by Dragracer_Art; 10-04-2022 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:30 AM
Registered

Also worth a mention...

On the Facebook Chaparral owners page... there's a guy with another 256ssx for sale. Same boat as mine.

His is powered by the mercruiser 496HO that I had been shopping for... unfortunately his hit the market a few weeks too late and $10k too high... BUT... he is advertising that his boat will go a GPS verified 65mph with the current combo.

The previous owner of my boat claimed he has nipped 60mph with it already... but I cannot confirm if that was by GPS or a generous speedometer... so maybe my 55.4mph run was a little low/premature. New from the factory they claimed 56mph with this engine in it.

Either way... it's lends credibility to the possibility I may be able to push this hull to 65mph without spending $100k to do it.

Stay tuned.
The following users liked this post:
ICDEDPPL (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 451 Likes on 220 Posts

A 256ssx with a 496HO has 50 more HP than your mill. I'm not convinced it is 10mph faster however.

When I did customer deliveries for a Cobalt dealer, the Merc boats were always 3-5 mph faster than the Volvo boats when comparing Gi/Gxi to the non HO and HO motors. We did have one customer that ordered a 496 HO boat with a Bravo 1 and that was clearly faster than the B3 boats by a good margin.
The following 2 users liked this post by techman:
Dragracer_Art (10-04-2022), ICDEDPPL (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 07:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by techman
A 256ssx with a 496HO has 50 more HP than your mill. I'm not convinced it is 10mph faster however.

When I did customer deliveries for a Cobalt dealer, the Merc boats were always 3-5 mph faster than the Volvo boats when comparing Gi/Gxi to the non HO and HO motors. We did have one customer that ordered a 496 HO boat with a Bravo 1 and that was clearly faster than the B3 boats by a good margin.
So... in a nutshell... there IS room for improvement.

I'll take that as a positive development.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

Incremental improvement is going to frustrate the pee out of you.
Drop 2 grand - convince yourself you see 2 mph from it, but you know in your heart that it is more like 1.2 mph.
Drop another 2 grand - maybe-another mph.
Drop another 3 grand - picked up 2 more real mph but made it a hassle to get on plane..

You have said ONE thing in all of this that made good sense. Build an engine. A 600hp big block with carb. Drop it in. Go run it. If you don't like the results, Drop it in a Camaro.
If you do like the results, then determine how much of the VP fuel injection stuff you want to try to transplant over to it.
Dragracer_Art (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 08:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Incremental improvement is going to frustrate the pee out of you.
Drop 2 grand - convince yourself you see 2 mph from it, but you know in your heart that it is more like 1.2 mph.
Drop another 2 grand - maybe-another mph.
Drop another 3 grand - picked up 2 more real mph but made it a hassle to get on plane..

You have said ONE thing in all of this that made good sense. Build an engine. A 600hp big block with carb. Drop it in. Go run it. If you don't like the results, Drop it in a Camaro.
If you do like the results, then determine how much of the VP fuel injection stuff you want to try to transplant over to it.
Yeah... I am leaning in this direction.

I will give a buddy of mine a call and see what he can whip together for me. Andy Jensen is pretty well known in Drag Racing and has always been my go-to guy for machine work.. been friends with him since mid-90's.

Last big boy I built was this 632 in my Camaro in 2004. It made 881hp at the rear wheels on a single Nickerson Dominator.

I'd love to have something like this in my boat... but obviously detuned for pump gas and hydraulic roller.
Attached Thumbnails I just cant leave anything alone !!!-70camaro632.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Dragracer_Art:
the deep (10-04-2022), Wildman_grafix (10-04-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 1,462 Likes on 814 Posts

Nice looking split bumper

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art

I will give a buddy of mine a call and see what he can whip together for me. Andy Jensen is pretty well known in Drag Racing and has always been my go-to guy for machine work.. been friends with him since mid-90's.

Last big boy I built was this 632 in my Camaro in 2004. It made 881hp at the rear wheels on a single Nickerson Dominator.

I'd love to have something like this in my boat... but obviously detuned for pump gas and hydraulic roller.
Dragracer_Art (10-06-2022)
Old 10-04-2022, 09:09 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,238 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art

Dragracer,

Dart Big M Block Questions - Offshoreonly.com

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 10-04-2022, 09:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Dragracer,

Dart Big M Block Questions - Offshoreonly.com

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
One thing I was pleased to learn already is that the 8.1/496 motors are already a tall deck platform.
This should make the swap pretty straightforward with respect to exhaust port height/alignment and engine compartment fit.

I think a 10.2 block with a 4.600 bore and 4.5" stroke would be a pretty bulletproof and reliable combo @ 598 cubes and should be a pretty clean swap.

Thanks for the link above. I will read through it !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.