Notices

Torque roll

Old 10-27-2022, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Dagwell,

What's your drive ratio? Any slop in the gimbal?

I can't imagine Sunsation would have sold a boat that listed that bad. Stock power? I ask about drive ratio because prop pitch is the major contributing factor for torque roll. You could maybe drop pitch and increase drive ratio and reduce torque roll. We go about it differently, being direct drive, but we can often reduce prop walk in our model boats by reducing pitch and running the engine in a higher RPM range.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
ratio 1.5 stock power 525 efi. Not sure on the humble slop but will look into that. Is there a certain way to check that other than shake the drive for any movement? The new prop is a lower pitch. So maybe that will help. Guess we will see.
Old 10-27-2022, 11:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Padraig
Have you talked with the folks at Sunsation? That would be my first call.

Padraig
I have not. But I guess that’s a good place to try.
The following users liked this post:
SB (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 11:47 AM
Registered

So, I was reading these reply’s and just thought about something. There is a repair on the (not sure it’s real name) plate below the prop. And it sticks out about a 1/4” more on the starboard side. Could that be my problem? If so maybe I’ll just grind down the weld and try that.
Old 10-27-2022, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,271 Likes on 1,465 Posts

its called a skeg and I would remove it
Old 10-27-2022, 11:58 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,238 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Dagwell

So, I was reading these reply’s and just thought about something. There is a repair on the (not sure it’s real name) plate below the prop. And it sticks out about a 1/4” more on the starboard side. Could that be my problem? If so maybe I’ll just grind down the weld and try that.
Dagwood,

I cannot imagine it not having an effect.

If you do grind it down, and the torque roll is still there, I'd be more inclined to follow SB's train of thought. Seeing as you're new to boating, it might be fair to consider operator error. There is more to driving a boat than throttle and steering. With both boats I've owned, I would set the drive trim all the way down for take-off, which helps to get it on plane quicker with less bow rise, then trim it up to achieve proper ride attitude. When I trim up after planing, I can actually feel the boat free up. What happens is the bow lifts a bit, which gets more of the boat out of the water, allowing for less wetted surface. The "bow steering" that SB mentions comes from the bow being pushed down into the oncoming water. When you take off, do follow a similar process, or leave it where it is, wherever that may be?

Try and have a friend take a pic or video of your boat on plane from the side. This will tell us a lot about how the boat rides, as far as attitude.

Further.... When you grind that weld bead away, do you best to keep the trailing edge as sharp as you can, but minimal rounding. The sharper the trailing edge, the more efficient the movement through the water, due to the Bernoulli effect. Don't leave it so sharp it will cut skin, but don't round it off, either.

And, for the record.... That boat should run pretty well with that 28P Bravo1 prop. I get ~76MPH out of my PQ280 with one. And no torque roll.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 10-27-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 11:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,238 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
its called a skeg and I would remove it
Dagwell,

Remove the weld bead. Not the skeg.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 10-27-2022, 12:07 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Dagwell
I have not. But I guess that’s a good place to try.
The two owners are brothers and super intimately hands on with their boats. They used to give out great advice to sunsation owners on the forums, before the forums died iff substantially. Be really smart to givem a ring.
The following 2 users liked this post by SB:
Dagwell (10-27-2022), Padraig (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 12:13 PM
Registered

Dagwood,

I cannot imagine it not having an effect.

If you do grind it down, and the torque roll is still there, I'd me more inclined to follow SB's train of thought. Seeing as you're new to boating, it might be fair to consider operator error. There is more to driving a boat than throttle and steering. With both boats I've owned, I would set the drive trim all the way down for take-off, which helps to get it on plane quicker with less bow rise, then trim it up to achieve proper ride attitude. When I trim up after planing, I can actually feel the boat free up. What happens is the bow lifts a bit, which gets more of the boat out of the water, allowing for less wetted surface. The "bow steering" that SB mentions comes from the bow being pushed into the oncoming water. When you take off, do follow a similar process, or leave it where it is, wherever that may be?

Try and have a friend take a pic or video of your boat on plane from the side. This will tell us a lot about how the boat rides, as far as attitude.

Further.... When you grind that weld bead away, do you best to keep the trailing edge as sharp as you can, but minimal rounding. The sharper the trailing edge, the more efficient the movement through the water, due to the Bernoulli effect. Don't leave it so sharp it will cut skin, but don't round it off, either.

And, for the record.... That boat should run pretty well with that 28P Bravo1 prop. I get ~76MPH out of my PQ280 with one. And no torque roll.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
thanks, it runs 75 now on rev limiter hoping for high 70s maybe 80 with the new prop.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:15 PM
Registered

Dagwell,

Remove the weld bead. Not the skeg.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
lol, will do
Old 10-27-2022, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 163 Likes on 78 Posts

Maybe it's just the picture but is sure looks like the skeg is significantly bent to the side and someone has attached something to the trailing edge of it that should not be there.
The following users liked this post:
the deep (10-29-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.