Notices

Torque roll

Old 10-27-2022, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
Maybe it's just the picture but is sure looks like the skeg is significantly bent to the side and someone has attached something to the trailing edge of it that should not be there.
it’s not bent, but that back inch starts to taper out a bit like someone welded a strip of aluminum on and the back of the skeg is much thicker and sticks out way more on the starboard side. That pic was a pic i
happened to have I’ll send another when I pull it out of the water tomorrow or Saturday. I noticed it when I bought the boat but the welds looked solid and didn’t concern me until I was thinking about what could
be causing this issue and thought of that.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 926 Likes on 396 Posts

Looks like some one welded a torque tab on. Who knows why. That’s mostly the cause or at least part of the cause of your issue
The following 2 users liked this post by IGetWet:
Gimme Fuel (10-31-2022), SB (10-28-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 06:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by IGetWet
Looks like some one welded a torque tab on. Who knows why. That’s mostly the cause or at least part of the cause of your issue
I just looked up what a torque tab is and that is def what it is. I’m gunna have to ask the shop that always maintained the boat and see if they installed it for the old owner and why.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:41 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Wonder if that is giving you your slip issues too.

I have never seen one on an outdrive, so i have no clue why it’s there .

Talk to the people who did this to your boat 1st. See what their reason was.

Last edited by SB; 10-27-2022 at 07:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dagwell (10-28-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 07:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dagwell
I just looked up what a torque tab is and that is def what it is. I’m gunna have to ask the shop that always maintained the boat and see if they installed it for the old owner and why.
At this point I’m nervous to grind it off. Maybe it’s correcting another issue that I’ll create if I take it off? 🤷‍♂️ Is it possible it came with that on from factory? Guess I’ll have to ask the shop and maybe ask Sunsation also.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 197 Likes on 110 Posts

Cut that skeg off and get a normal one welded on before buying more props.

2006 has the new bottom.

Did some work Years ago on a 28 but it was a 2001 or so, no odd issues like that. It had issues with staying on the pad when it had the power to get on it but nothing crazy like what you are saying.
Dagwell (10-28-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 05:17 PM
Registered

Pulled it out today. Here’s some pics. Flat on port. Tapered on starboard. Fat in back.

Old 10-29-2022, 09:22 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 486 Likes on 178 Posts

That repair reeks of turbulence. Water should flow past the skeg smoothly and efficiently to the prop. Hydrodynamic efficiency is key to stable and fast. Like someone suggested, I'd cut that Frankenstein off and weld a new skeg on making sure it is absolutely true to the centerline of the drive or maybe just grab an undamaged lower.
Add: That is like having a Whale Tale bolted on sideways, guess which way that will torque the boat at speed.

Last edited by the deep; 10-29-2022 at 09:29 PM.
Gimme Fuel (10-31-2022)