Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone recognize this tool? Is it even marine related? I have no idea what it is >

Anyone recognize this tool? Is it even marine related? I have no idea what it is

Notices

Anyone recognize this tool? Is it even marine related? I have no idea what it is

Old 02-11-2023, 06:30 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

That piece locked the dudes doors so he couldn’t go boating. Bummer.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
Man, I changed my bellhousing mounts a few months back, it was tough even with a hydraulic press. I'd like to see someone try it with this thing.
Ive done them with a OTC ball joint press and a impact, worked real well, Smitty
The following 2 users liked this post by articfriends:
DrFeelgood (02-13-2023), Smitty275 (02-13-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Man, I changed my bellhousing mounts a few months back, it was tough even with a hydraulic press. I'd like to see someone try it with this thing.
Ayuh,..... Just to be clear, this conversation is about the rear motor mounts in the flywheel cover, Correct,..??
Not 'bout the bellhousing, that the outdrive bolts too,..??

If So,.... Replacing the rear motor mount bushings is super easy, if you squirt a tiny bit of Quicksilver Power Tune on the rubber, before you try to push 'em into the flywheel cover holes,....

Now, I know that Power Tune is for the ole 2 stroke outboards, but I'm tellin' ya that this stuff makes rubber so slippery, that rubber pieces can be installed into / on to things that you'd think would never fit,....
The beauty of Power Tune is that it dissipates quickly after the installation, so that the rubber sticks in-place as it should,....

Don S,(God bless 'is soul) over at iboats taught me this trick( 'n many more) years ago, 'n I use it pretty much anytime I'm workin' with rubber bits,...
Tight fittin' exhaust boots,..?? they slide right into place,....
Drillin' holes in millbelt with a holesaw,..?? it cuts like butter,....
Merc rear motor mounts,..?? they almost slide into place, by hand pressure,.....

This is one of those "Ole Mechanic Tricks", I wish I had known decades earlier,.......
Old 02-18-2023, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 972 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Bondo
Ayuh,..... Just to be clear, this conversation is about the rear motor mounts in the flywheel cover, Correct,..??
Not 'bout the bellhousing, that the outdrive bolts too,..??

If So,.... Replacing the rear motor mount bushings is super easy, if you squirt a tiny bit of Quicksilver Power Tune on the rubber, before you try to push 'em into the flywheel cover holes,....

Now, I know that Power Tune is for the ole 2 stroke outboards, but I'm tellin' ya that this stuff makes rubber so slippery, that rubber pieces can be installed into / on to things that you'd think would never fit,....
The beauty of Power Tune is that it dissipates quickly after the installation, so that the rubber sticks in-place as it should,....

Don S,(God bless 'is soul) over at iboats taught me this trick( 'n many more) years ago, 'n I use it pretty much anytime I'm workin' with rubber bits,...
Tight fittin' exhaust boots,..?? they slide right into place,....
Drillin' holes in millbelt with a holesaw,..?? it cuts like butter,....
Merc rear motor mounts,..?? they almost slide into place, by hand pressure,.....

This is one of those "Ole Mechanic Tricks", I wish I had known decades earlier,.......
Interesting info there - yes, I was referring to the mounts that are in the rear engine cover, what would be a bellhousing in automotive situations, but is really just a flywheel cover for I/O applications.

BUT - the rubber mounts are in a metal sleeve, so it's metal on metal during install, so I'm not understanding how your recommendation would be applicable?
Old 02-20-2023, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Interesting info there - yes, I was referring to the mounts that are in the rear engine cover, what would be a bellhousing in automotive situations, but is really just a flywheel cover for I/O applications.

BUT - the rubber mounts are in a metal sleeve, so it's metal on metal during install, so I'm not understanding how your recommendation would be applicable?
My bad,.... When I changed 'em out on an Alpha, they were steel inserts in a rubber bushing,....