Notices

9 pin engine and helm harness

Old 02-16-2023, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 314 Likes on 112 Posts
Default 9 pin engine and helm harness

engine/helm harness has got me stumped

87 Cafe Racer
Starboard side has 3 "larger" pins but one of those 3 is clipped down just a bit and it fits into the engine side perfectly and the engine operates as it should and all guages work since I dropped new engine in a couple weeks ago.

port side has the same plug as starboard side but it still has all 3 of the large pins and none are clipped down. it does not fit into the engine side because of said " larger pin" that being said the website here wont let me post any pictures maybe 1 out of 50 trys it will let me and I'm at 51 and tired of trying. i just wonder what you guys would do clip it also and hope for the best? or pin it out on both helm and engine and clip the wire and solder together? its all i lack on firing this new engine carb'd big blocks nothing fancy or special. if anyone can help me with posting photos of my plugs would be great i can send to you via text or something?
Old 02-16-2023, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 118 Posts

Are the connectors on both engines the same ?

Pretty sure I can post pics if you want to send them to me. [email protected] How are you trying to post them ? If you click on reply and then across the top hit the little square next to the "smiley face" you should be able to upload pics.
Old 02-16-2023, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you made sure the female plug is empty? I have found the right size drill spun by hand can dislodge things. And have you tried putting some dielectric grease on it to help things slide in place easier?
Old 02-16-2023, 09:16 PM
Registered

Here are his two pictures, i hope

Old 02-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Registered

Alex,
What do the plugs that those connectors plug into look like ? Are they both the same ? Any chance you have them on the wrong side engine ? Were the engines in the boat before ?

Last edited by BillK; 02-16-2023 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 10:19 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 556 Posts

Assuming you allready checked...but just in case.....is there anything inside the female plug on the engine blocking that big pin from going in?

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-17-2023, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 480 Likes on 374 Posts

Looks like the one connector had the pins opened up more then the other and this caused pin to bend over and snap off
Old 02-17-2023, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,223 Likes on 1,439 Posts

I think you have an older plug and a newer engine harness, the newer ones dont have 3 large pins.pin 1 appears to be a ground

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 02-17-2023 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 314 Likes on 112 Posts

update!!

i cut down the pin that was holding me back. tried firing the engine it would turn over but no spark. i went back and wired found each wire on both helm and engine side and made a quick temporary connection " just to see" and she fired right off and everything worked as it should. going to go back and make a permanent solid connection and let it be.

thank you everyone who chimed in and tried to help and thank you for posting the pictures for me!