Carb linkage to throttle cable how to?

Old 02-28-2023, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 314 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Notice

Originally Posted by Griff
Adjust the cable so its correct for idle first
You also have some cable adjustment at the throttle lever to play with

I noticed today while fighting this obstacle that with the cables completely unhooked from carbs and plates I get little to zero movement at the cable ends with the throttle levers either at 100% throttle or idel/zero throttle…. Bad cables? Or am I missing something right in front of me?
Old 02-28-2023, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 950 Likes on 345 Posts

first. what throttle control is this? some have several attachment points that change the throw of the cable.
second, in the 2nd photo above where is the throttle lever at? the cable is nearly fully retracted in the pic.
The following users liked this post:
87CigCafe (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 09:13 PM
Registered

Default Unsure

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
first. what throttle control is this? some have several attachment points that change the throw of the cable.
second, in the 2nd photo above where is the throttle lever at? the cable is nearly fully retracted in the pic.

unsure of brand of controls unfortunately.

the second photo is after a failed attempt at hooking this up and went full throttle with the controls( didn’t really do anything either ) Went back to idel( on the controls) they did not return to full extend for idel position and either.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:30 PM
Registered

post a pic of the throttles when you can. on many of them you can move the cable end to one of three positions to make the throw longer or shorter based on the carb and where on the carb the cable is attached. a lot of people set them up at idle but I have always set the wide open position first and let the idle sit slightly up from all the way back. the reason being is I tend to hit the WOT harder and I let the throttle box become the stop rather than the carb as it is hard on the throttle shaft. I dont ever pull back to idle hard so I can control that better and not force the throttle shaft but still have a little extra pull on the cable to make sure it is all the way at idle. just my way of doing it but that was from setting up race boats and in rough water you tend to stab WOT pretty hard at times.
87CigCafe (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 09:44 PM
Registered

Default Only picture I have

post a pic of the throttles when you can. on many of them you can move the cable end to one of three positions to make the throw longer or shorter based on the carb and where on the carb the cable is attached. a lot of people set them up at idle but I have always set the wide open position first and let the idle sit slightly up from all the way back. the reason being is I tend to hit the WOT harder and I let the throttle box become the stop rather than the carb as it is hard on the throttle shaft. I dont ever pull back to idle hard so I can control that better and not force the throttle shaft but still have a little extra pull on the cable to make sure it is all the way at idle. just my way of doing it but that was from setting up race boats and in rough water you tend to stab WOT pretty hard at times.
only picture I have is this one on the gear side if it can tell you much of anything….

Old 02-28-2023, 10:00 PM
Registered

looks like an old kiekhaefer aeromarine unit. if I remember right there should be three locations on the throttle lever that move the cable end closer or farther from the arm to increase or decrease the cable throw. you have to take it apart to change it. from idle to wot the cable should move around 3 inches or so. how much does it move now?
Old 02-28-2023, 10:03 PM
Registered

looks like an old kiekhaefer aeromarine unit. if I remember right there should be three locations on the throttle lever that move the cable end closer or farther from the arm to increase or decrease the cable throw. you have to take it apart to change it. from idle to wot the cable should move around 3 inches or so. how much does it move now?
Note taken.

just moving the controls forward or back right now unhooked from carb very little if any was getting a bit of a throw at first when I started fooling with this but now basically getting zero. Port side ( unhooked from carb ) has zero just from me looking from the helm over into engine bay
Old 02-28-2023, 10:10 PM
Registered

even on the shortest throw it would have two or more inches of travel. you need to pull the throttle box out and see if the cable ends failed or something is broken inside. I have broken throttle levers before and also the cable ends so yes it does happen.
87CigCafe (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 10:16 PM
Registered

Default Right

even on the shortest throw it would have two or more inches of travel. you need to pull the throttle box out and see if the cable ends failed or something is broken inside. I have broken throttle levers before and also the cable ends so yes it does happen.

kinda my next thoughts to see the boat has been sitting dead since around 2017 in Florida just kinda chasing gremlins as a I go I seems lol. For Just in case purposes I ordered new cables but if I get around to the boat tomorrow I’ll pull the box and see what it looks like…. Fingers crossed lol
Old 03-01-2023, 12:11 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

Look at these pics on ebay. You can see the three holes in the levers. Whichever hole the cable is in controls the amount throw
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/185183209733...Bk9SR4StvbzTYQ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.