Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Got the milk in the oil any suggestions… >

Got the milk in the oil any suggestions…

Notices

Got the milk in the oil any suggestions…

Old 03-07-2023, 08:51 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Okay, found some of your boat/engine history. Operation 87 Cafe rescue

It has been layed up for long time. Have carbs been pulled apart/cleaned/ gone thru ? How old is all the fuel in the tank ? Any more history before this ? Assume several of us haven’t been following it and this is the 1st thread we have read of yours. :thumbs
The following 2 users liked this post by SB:
87CigCafe (03-07-2023), Bondo (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Small report back

Had just a couple of minutes to swing by where I keep the boat. Jumped in there and checked the dip stick I did not see any noticeable change gain or loss on the stick…. Good thing right? But I did noticed some oil inside the exhaust tip / tail…. Going to swap out the thunderbolt ignition module and see if it will fix the running issue and pull the plugs also and inspect them. Sorry for poor quality picture I’ll get a better one later
Old 03-07-2023, 01:40 PM
Registered

Default Leaning on

These engines have sat for quite a while they are fresh builds with break in time only not that that matters but they did set for a period of time before installing into the boat. In Tennessee the weather is wild it could be 20 one day and 79 the next in the winter. They were kept put up in the garage ( not heated or cooled) just a garage. But I know some days I’d come out and see them and moisture would be present on top of ( outside the valve covers ) and “sweat” along side the blocks and such from time to time so I guess condensation is a possibility? Maybe? I haven’t taken the valve covers off just yet either. I’m gonna try and get the oil out this afternoon and see if it’s a total milkshake or not also per a suggestion above.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:53 PM
Registered

Default More clear of a picture

Here is a more clear of a picture from a screenshot I took of the video while running…..

dip stick perfectly clean and the level has not raised on the stick. No notable steam will running either
Old 03-07-2023, 02:26 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 997 Likes on 506 Posts

If thats running and thats the tip of the rocker with milkshake running down it...then i would drain the oil to verify.....You may have a dipstick that is shielded by the tube and not getting a reading of the "mixed" oil in the pan......

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-07-2023, 02:58 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Originally Posted by 87CigCafe
Had just a couple of minutes to swing by where I keep the boat. Jumped in there and checked the dip stick I did not see any noticeable change gain or loss on the stick…. Good thing right? But I did noticed some oil inside the exhaust tip / tail…. Going to swap out the thunderbolt ignition module and see if it will fix the running issue and pull the plugs also and inspect them. Sorry for poor quality picture I’ll get a better one later
Typically from a bad cooler. IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
87CigCafe (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 03:20 PM
Registered

Default Same

Originally Posted by SB
Typically from a bad cooler. IMHO.

that thought ran through my head also….
Old 03-07-2023, 04:13 PM
Registered

Default Wellll

Well even worst freaking news. Made one pump on each engine through the dip stick and got this on BOTH they are full I suppose of water… figured while I was at it I’d check both at this point lol.

also drained oil coolers ( both ) into a very clean pan and got no signs of oil in them either. So I guess I can cross out the oil coolers…?

Old 03-07-2023, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 737 Likes on 379 Posts

I'd do a leak down test on these engines.if that shows fine,I may be inclined to look at the intake gaskets
Old 03-07-2023, 07:45 PM
Registered

Default ?

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
I'd do a leak down test on these engines.if that shows fine,I may be inclined to look at the intake gaskets

can I get a run down on the “ how to do a leak down test “

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.