Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Got the milk in the oil any suggestions… >

Got the milk in the oil any suggestions…

Notices

Got the milk in the oil any suggestions…

Old 03-06-2023, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Got the milk in the oil any suggestions…

It was running and ideling

a while and let everything circulate a while then…. I went to 1,000rpms dead on the money. Let it run there 3-6 minutes it got up to temp and the t stat opened and it went to popping missing etc etc if you try to give it any kind of throttle it got worse and wouldn’t accept it popping and missing sounding etc. brought it back down to idel and it does well and has 40+ pounds of oil pressure also. Well while it idled I just happened to open the oil fill cap on the valve cover while it was running and found this…. This is a screen shot off a video I took. Now… where would you start and how would you do it? Any kind of testing you guys could explain and teach me? Pop intake off and check it?

side note the dip stick is CLEAN as a whistle as of right now and after that discovery. I’ll check it again in the morning after it has sat all night and see if it was “ overfilled “ or shows signs of water etc.

please help lol
Old 03-06-2023, 06:20 PM
Registered

Default Side note

Side note: this is NOT the engine with my hydro steering.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:45 PM
Registered

Default Stainless

Stainless marine exhaust also. If that matters
Old 03-06-2023, 09:23 PM
Registered

Default Hose

Also this was just on the garden hose
Old 03-06-2023, 10:16 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Imho: You need to find running issue first. That misfire can cause reversion. Also, exhaust water leak can cause both too.
The following 3 users liked this post by SB:
87CigCafe (03-07-2023), RSCHAP1 (03-07-2023), sutphen 30 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 07:23 AM
Registered

Default Right

Originally Posted by SB
Imho: You need to find running issue first. That misfire can cause reversion. Also, exhaust water leak can cause both too.

I am going to try and check the timing today but worried to death about starting it to do so….
Old 03-07-2023, 07:33 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Why would timing be off ? You just reinstall the distributors ? If yes, double check wires go to right cylinders. Then fire it off and set timing. You woukdn’t believe amt of water i’ve seen in motors and still survived. Not that you want to of coyrse. Lol.

Are there threads you’ve done on other engine problems or things i can read to get brought up on your possible issues.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:33 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 997 Likes on 506 Posts

Do an oil change to verify you actually have a milkshake....not gonna hurt one way or the other and if it is a milk shake it has to come out anyway.
So if the oil comes out clean then you have condensation in the valve covers and engines are just not burning off the moisture yet. Not sure how true it is but ive heard it only take a tablespoon of moisture to get a milkshake going....
If it is a full on milkshake then you need to investigate more. I would start with the simplest things like doing a leak-down test to verify you don't have a head gasket problem.
If leak-down shows good what i would do is put some fresh oil/filter in there and bypass the external oil cooler and run it again....but have a bore scope camera on hand. Run the engine and look for milkshake again....if you see milkshake coming up through the rockers then shut down and pull the exh hose off and look down there with the camera for any reversion signs or leaks from cracks etc.
If you don't see anything with the camera then i would then pull the exh off and look for reversion or cracks internally and pressure test them if possible.
My next step would be to pull the oil cooler off and pressure test that for any cracks.
From this point on you are getting into the motor so i would pull the intake off and look for a bad gasket around the coolant crossover ports.
And then i would take each cylinder head bolt off one at a time and make sure there's thread sealant on the them since they do go into the cooling jackets on the block and if not sealed it will leak into the oil ...
If you go through all that and still cant point to a culprit then only thing left would be a cracked block

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wally:
87CigCafe (03-07-2023), RSCHAP1 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 07:53 AM
Registered

Default Nothing changed.

Originally Posted by SB
Why would timing be off ? You just reinstall the distributors ? If yes, double check wires go to right cylinders. Then fire it off and set timing. You woukdn’t believe amt of water i’ve seen in motors and still survived. Not that you want to of coyrse. Lol.

Are there threads you’ve done on other engine problems or things i can read to get brought up on your possible issues.

nothing at all changed in the dizzy to timing or ignition. Like mentioned it was running absolutely flawless at 1,000 rpm’s and then once it got up to heat it just went haywire! But still idled just fine. If any throttle what so ever was or is applied to the engine it goes to popping and carrying on…
Old 03-07-2023, 08:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 137 Posts

With that info I would almost lean to an exhaust issue...I'm betting that when the thermostat opened it dumped water in the cylinders causing the misfire...just a thought....I had a cracked intercooler on mine and it ran perfect then when I got on plane, started running, and the IC started building pressure it dumped water in the motor and started missing popping and carrying on....I'd pull the plugs and see if they have water on them and go from there....could be many things just don't get overwhelmed and take it one step at a time....seems to have started sucking water from somewhere when the thermostat opened so trace your water path and go from there...Wally laid out a pretty good plan of attack as well!!!
The following users liked this post:
87CigCafe (03-07-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.