Notices

Dry Pipe Questions

Old 11-29-2002, 01:17 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dry Pipe Questions

Hey Guys,

I was telling a buddy yesterday about dry pipes and he had never heard the term. But instantly he said he wanted them. The louder the better for him.

He has a 35 Fountain with 575's and captains call exhaust.

With dry pipes can you still keep the captains call exhaust?

What exhaust components have to be changed and what stock components can you still use?

Besides being louder, are ther any pros or cons you need to be aware of?

Thanks Mark
Old 11-29-2002, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cons- They will be very hot.

Pros-Boating in colder weather with hot pipes to warm your hands on.
Old 11-29-2002, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Nah, dry pipes still have the same waterjackets as wet pipes. They just never dump the water back into the exhaust stream. They just have a bung at the end of the tailpipe for a hose to carry the hot water out a transom fitting.

There are some tailpipes that are technically dry, but do spray water out the end of the pipe with the exhaust, never inserting the stream into the pipe, though.

Non-water jacketed headers like a jetboat are both dry AND hot. And illegal in an enclosed engine compartment.

Wouldn't think that you could run dry pipes into a captain's call diverter, but maybe you could. If so, you would need to dump the water back into the y-pipe under the CC diverter to keep from baking out the rubber exhaust boot at the outdrive.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, you cant use a cutout running dry unless you flanged all the connections because hoses wont survive without water in the exhaust stream. I had them on my formula and they were loud. The holes in the transom have to be dead on. Even then, I had to make shims for my pipes to get them all in the center of the holes. I had rings with big silicone washers that allowed the pipes to move some with the engines, kept them from breaking and kept water out.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:53 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Dry pipes are stupid loud. I was holding the transom of a boat with twin 900sc engines and dry pipes. Even though I was a good 5' in front of the transom, I could not hear myself scream. No joke, I tried it. When the boat engaged the drives, one engine died. I couldn't even hear the change in tone. As the boat was running away from me, I could still hear it, even though it was out of sight. The noise traveled for a good 5 miles. All of this translates into discomfort for the passengers, hearing loss for the owners, pissed off people at the marinas, and a fat ticket book for the local officer.
Old 11-30-2002, 02:58 PM
Registered

Loud pipes save lives !!!

My CMI's dump water at the very end and they are LOUD. Fortunatley I have a molded in swim plateform so it kind of quiets it down... a little.
The good thing is no worries about reversion !
Old 12-02-2002, 08:41 AM
Registered

Hey Doc,
Fishead here.I was up in your neck of the woods on Saturday evening as I drove back From NJ getting my new motors.I was crossing over your lake at about 7pm and was going to call you but my cell phone rang and it was crew scheduling.Well to make a long story short I was nabbed for a trip and had to drive straight through home to put the truck in the garage shower,pack and drive to the airport for a trip.I am now in Salt Lake city and go back to Memphis on Tuesday then a long trip to Sao Palo Brazil then home on Friday.Anyway just wanted to say hello and let you know that the Lake(Norman?) looks great as I saw it on Friday as I was driving up to NJ.I will definitly be there this year if you and your wife would have me and my girlfriend up for a weekend.By the way my Troy Dennis Motors have Stelling dry exhaust and I am sure they will be loud.Talk to you soon.Fishead.I plan on having the boat done for Russ Floyds St Pattys day poker run in March.Are you going to go?If my boat is not ready maybe we can hitch a ride?
Old 12-02-2002, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

answer to the question you cannot use captians call with dry pipes. there are extension you can by from teague to quite it down.

Treadewell
Old 12-04-2002, 10:45 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally posted by fishead
Hey Doc,
Fishead here.I was up in your neck of the woods on Saturday evening as I drove back From NJ getting my new motors.I was crossing over your lake at about 7pm and was going to call you but my cell phone rang and it was crew scheduling.Well to make a long story short I was nabbed for a trip and had to drive straight through home to put the truck in the garage shower,pack and drive to the airport for a trip.I am now in Salt Lake city and go back to Memphis on Tuesday then a long trip to Sao Palo Brazil then home on Friday.Anyway just wanted to say hello and let you know that the Lake(Norman?) looks great as I saw it on Friday as I was driving up to NJ.I will definitly be there this year if you and your wife would have me and my girlfriend up for a weekend.By the way my Troy Dennis Motors have Stelling dry exhaust and I am sure they will be loud.Talk to you soon.Fishead.I plan on having the boat done for Russ Floyds St Pattys day poker run in March.Are you going to go?If my boat is not ready maybe we can hitch a ride?
Mark,

I am glad you fly for Fed-X and not one of the airlines. Those guys are having problems. A good friend we boat with just moved to the right seat. He works for US Air.

Norman is a great lake, we enjoy it and I know you guys will like it. Looking forward to having you up. We will be seeing Russ and Les this Sunday, weather permitting.

Man, it I was in Salt Lake, I could not leave without a couple of runs down the slopes out there.

Take care
Old 12-06-2002, 09:13 PM
Registered

Default boat time

Doc .,,,,,,, haven't talked lately... I think I am moving to Florida. too cold for boating here.. I towed my boat back to the factory last week for some upgrades. I am ready for some warm weather poker runs. Hope you and the mrs. are doing well and looking forward to some of the great summer poker runs. Steve

Quick Reply: Dry Pipe Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.