Fuel system advice. >

Fuel system advice.

Notices

Fuel system advice.

Old 05-26-2023, 06:38 PM
BEACH PARTY
Platinum Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 717 Posts

The wiring is pretty simple. You use a fuel pump safety switch (Holley) and wire the start circuit to the om-side of the switch. If there’s no oil pressure, the fuel pump is not on unless the starting circuit is energized.

The following users liked this post:
Batmeat (05-27-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 310 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I tried that Baker pump on a 900hp engine and it didn't work for me. It would be down to 3psi at WOT. They sent me the 15psi springs for it so I plumbed it with a return regulator and although it kept the pressure up, you could see every stroke of the pump on the pressure gauge(needle moving so fast it was a blur) and kept destroying gauges in just a few minutes of run time. I ditched the whole mechanical pump setup and installed a Weldon electric pump and went trouble free boating. I spent a lot of time, trouble and money trying to keep it simple with a mechanical pump. I wouldn't do it again. Weldon for the win.
The symptoms described make sense if using a "return type" fuel press regulator. I'm using a "non-return" fuel press regulator and don't have any bounce at all on the fuel press gauges.

A buddy had mechanical and elec fuel pumps on his Cig. The elec was nice to fill float bowls when needed and allowed for eng off fuel leak checks. A few years ago I was thinking abt using both, set up for redundancy (i.e. have elec operate if eng ign was on ( or oil press present) and fuel press was below a certain value). May still go that route some day.

Last edited by zz28zz; 05-26-2023 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
Quick Fuel 30-175QFT 175 GPH Bypass Billet Electric Fuel Pump (holley.com)

I ran this feeding two 850 cfm carbs when I was carbed....still have it in a box actually if you're interested...obviously it's electric but has a built in regulator so it was pretty compact which I liked. It was on a 468 with a 8-71 probably 750ish hp
Check your PM's.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 4,864 Likes on 1,376 Posts

I had a 7.5 non regulater dead head system and it would drop fuel pressure at wot.
Went to a Baker 15psi, regulated, return to tank.... Ran flawless.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Carter electric pump

Get a Carter electric pump.

More reliable than Holley.
Old 05-29-2023, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 479 Likes on 219 Posts

I’ll probably catch some get for this, but:

I run an aeromotive A1000, lots of people don’t like them but I haven’t had any issues with the pump itself. It runs a return line back to tank, regulator set to 6 or 7 psi feeding two 850 holly hp carbs, 14-71s, supporting 1080hp. Works pretty good. Simple and clean. I have switched on the dash to run the pumps independently.

that would support what you are wanting to do.