Can you really regulate oil temp? >

Can you really regulate oil temp?

Notices

Can you really regulate oil temp?

Old 06-12-2023, 06:28 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Be more specific with “When WOT it goes somewhere between 230 and 320.” Meaning, it reaches 320 at some point ? Or literally somewhere in between. If so, what #?is that?
Thank you.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Be more specific with “When WOT it goes somewhere between 230 and 320.” Meaning, it reaches 320 at some point ? Or literally somewhere in between. If so, what #?is that?
Thank you.
SB, those are the last 2 numbers on the gauge. It never reached 320. If I had to guess it was 260-270.
Old 06-12-2023, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 950 Likes on 345 Posts

I see by your other thread that you are taking the temp as it comes out of the engine so you dont know how much the cooler is doing. the cooler may be bringing it down to 220 but the engine is bringing it back up to what you are seeing due to tune or clearance, etc. I think I would find a way to test the temp going into the engine before condemning the cooler or thermostat
The following users liked this post:
PQ290Enticer (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 07:47 AM
Registered

Received 972 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by PQ290Enticer
SB, those are the last 2 numbers on the gauge. It never reached 320. If I had to guess it was 260-270.
If you're running it hard, and you are running synthetic oil, 260-270 isn't really anything to worry about. Oil is not breaking down at those temps.

Now, it's also important to consider where that temp is being read. If that's after the cooler, meaning, cooled oil, then it could easily be >300 before the cooler.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:01 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,277 Likes on 1,467 Posts

General consensus is to address oil temps if over 250 if using conventional oil.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrFeelgood
If you're running it hard, and you are running synthetic oil, 260-270 isn't really anything to worry about. Oil is not breaking down at those temps.

Now, it's also important to consider where that temp is being read. If that's after the cooler, meaning, cooled oil, then it could easily be >300 before the cooler.
I'm running Brad Penn Racing Oil in semi synthetic . I don't know where this oil starts to fail as far as temp. The hose from the cooler is much cooler so I know it's working. I was under the impression that measuring the oil where it shows the highest reading is best. Is the oil in the pan the same temp as at the filter where my sending unit is located? I can get a couple more sending units and plug them in after the cooler and get that reading.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 137 Posts

I always like to know what temp the oil is going through the bearings....mine is in my pan so I know what temp the oil is coming out of the bearings but that's just me....I really could care less about the cooler temp I want to know what the motor is seeing as that's the important part in my opinion. For being relatively mild builds, I think you are either going to have to up cooler size or figure out where you have a restriction because personally I don't think your oil should be getting that hot. If you were supercharged I could see it I would think your oil should be relatively close to what the oil stat is.

Did you upgrade oil lines when you did your builds or are they still the small stock lines? Volume and flow have a lot to do with the temp as well....if the oil has a hard time getting to the cooler due to small lines or you have too little capacity the oil will heat up just because it can't get to the cooler and back fast enough to shed the heat. Just some things to think about.
The following 2 users liked this post by BBYSTWY:
SB (06-12-2023), zz28zz (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 08:29 AM
Registered

Is it possible that the oil pumps I have are pushing the oil to fast through the system and not allowing enough time for the heat to be extracted? I don't have the number handy but they are Melling high volume pumps. I have no idea the volume but the pressure is running 50-60 lbs underway. I know from this site that others are using these and they are considered good pumps. Anyway, it's just a question.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
I always like to know what temp the oil is going through the bearings....mine is in my pan so I know what temp the oil is coming out of the bearings but that's just me....I really could care less about the cooler temp I want to know what the motor is seeing as that's the important part in my opinion. For being relatively mild builds, I think you are either going to have to up cooler size or figure out where you have a restriction because personally I don't think your oil should be getting that hot. If you were supercharged I could see it I would think your oil should be relatively close to what the oil stat is.

Did you upgrade oil lines when you did your builds or are they still the small stock lines? Volume and flow have a lot to do with the temp as well....if the oil has a hard time getting to the cooler due to small lines or you have too little capacity the oil will heat up just because it can't get to the cooler and back fast enough to shed the heat. Just some things to think about.
I am running a larger hose than stock. I keep saying -10 but I guess you can have that fitting on small hose too? I didn't have a location in the pan for sending units. I didn't know it was a "thing" till after the engines were home. The cooler size is suppose to cover up to 700 hp so I should be fine there. I posed the question about the speed of the oil through the system. Is it possible that my oil pumps are moving too much volume and not giving the coolers enough time to remove the heat? Is that even possible??? The capacity is up to 9 qts now. I remember with the stock set up it took 6 qts so with the upsized cooler and the larger lines and the length of the lines, I apparently added 3 qts to the system.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 950 Likes on 345 Posts

this is why I would like to know the temp after the cooler. if it is down around 210-220 then the cooler is working but the engine is generating too much heat due to tune or clearance in bearings. right now you know what the engine is making for oil heat but not whether it is because the heat is stacking up due to a lack of cooling or the engine itself is generating a ton of heat due to tight clearance or lean tune.
The following 3 users liked this post by compedgemarine:
BBYSTWY (06-12-2023), SB (06-12-2023), sutphen 30 (06-12-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.