Converting from 2 strokes to Verados >

Converting from 2 strokes to Verados

Notices

Converting from 2 strokes to Verados

Old 09-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 461 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Converting from 2 strokes to Verados

So I have made a deal on a pair of 275 Verados to replace my current 225 Merc 2 strokes. They will come with the controls and digital dashes. What all is involved with the switch? The controls and gauges will be pretty strait forward I believe, But I am unsure about the steering. My current setup has (non power) hydraulic steering cylinders on the front of each engine with a tie bar between them. I am going to go look at a twin Verado setup tomorrow as I have never paid attention to how their steering is set up. Just curious what I am getting myself in to.

Any help will be appreciated.

I will also be needing a pair of props. Most likely 23P Mirage or +
Old 09-04-2023, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Depending on the year , you may have 2 pumps. Also , joystick setup? If that’s the case , you won’t be linking them together. Mercury has a newer pump out as the older ones were prone to overheating. The pumps are very particular with their fluid level. Just an fyi.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:15 AM
Registered

No joystick setup. I have read about the very troublesome and battery destroying Verado power steering pumps. I think the first thing I am going to try is hooking my seastar helm directly to the Verado steering cylinder just like my boat is set up now and see how it works without power steering. My current setup has a steering cylinder on both engines with a tie bar, but the Verados I bought have a single cyl on the stbd side only with a tie bar. Maybe the seastar cylinders can be fitted to the Verados, not sure. I will know more when I have them side by side.

Last edited by snapmorgan; 09-05-2023 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:33 AM
Registered

I don't know enough about this to talk intelligently about it, but I am a quick study so here goes.
The vessel views (or whatever they are called) are staying on the boat that the Verados are coming off of. I have a Garmin and a Simrad on my boat that I assume I can hook to the engines to get all of the pertinent information. Which would be better, the Garmin or the Simrad? What kind of extra equipment do I need to purchase to make this happen?
Old 09-05-2023, 09:08 AM
Registered

Here’s a pic of the latest pumps. Marine Max installed them last week. 42 whaler with quad 350s. Not my boat. I am a semi retired boat keeper. We have 2 pumps , 1 for each pair. I think you pick power up from the engines and it’s a 3 wire plug.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:12 AM
Registered

Here’s a pic of the wiring harness. As far as your choice of simrad or garmin it’s whatever you are comfortable using. Garmin is kinda like apple and simrad is more of the android. Fusion plays well with garmin and I have that setup in my donzi classic.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:23 AM
Registered

So it is just a cable that hooks into the verado wiring harness and plugs directly into the chart plotter? Or is that the power steering cable you took the pic of?

Last edited by snapmorgan; 09-05-2023 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:40 AM
Registered

That plugs into the engine harness. Nothing to do with your chartplotter. There is a separate connection into the chartplotter for your engines. Probably a NMEA 2000 connection. Off your chartplotter you will have a backbone connection and will run your engine / stereo / depth sounder into that … something like this.

Last edited by smokediver; 09-05-2023 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Not that simple.. Are the engines smart craft, If so depending on how old your garmin and simrad are you may be better off with your simrad. As far as hooking them up you will Probably need a Vessel View link multi engine Black box interface. There is one for single engine for 1/2 price so dont get confused. Will also need a 25 ft cable depending on length of your boat to bring Data from the engines to the box. Not sure if you need 2 data cables or if there is another cable to daisy chain it. It gets expensive fast. This box converts Mercury smart craft language to NMEA 2000 language. So you will also need a NMEA 2000 backbone network if you dont already have that on your boat. Thats the cheap part. It then provides Nmea 2000 data to the simrad. I would get the serial number of your engines and model of your simrad and call Mercury for a parts list.

Chris

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23275711157...RoCs90QAvD_BwE
Old 09-05-2023, 03:30 PM
Registered

Thank you, I believe that is the information that I need. I will see what all I get when these engines are de-rigged next week and go from there. I don't believe that I have any kind of NMEA backbone currently, just 2 stand alone chart plotters/fish finders. I will get in the console and see what I can find.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.