battery tenders what are you guys doing for this at the dock >

battery tenders what are you guys doing for this at the dock

Notices

battery tenders what are you guys doing for this at the dock

Old 10-05-2023, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default battery tenders what are you guys doing for this at the dock

So after last weekend debacle with a bilge pump draining a pump then the alternator drawing so much load it wrecked two V-belts I want to install a tender so I know my batteries are always maintained!! I do have land power at the property my boat is on I just need to run power out to the dock but the issue I see is this:

1. the boat is kept on whips so I need to have a cable brought to the boat that can extend/retract with the boat as it moves around on the whips
2. How do I bring the power into the boat in a nice clean fashion (no ugly ass plug connections in the hull)
3. what tender are you guys using to maintain twin batteries

I am sure someone has done something like this I was curious to get some ideas. I was thinking a all weather retractable extension cord reel that I can remove the lock from so it constantly recoils as the boat comes close to the dock and also keeps tension so it can never drape into the water. Of course it will be on its own GFI breaker as well but my biggest concern is getting the power into the boat. It will have to be a twist lock connector so it doesn't unplug as it puts tension on the plug moving with waves and wind.​​​​​​​
Old 10-05-2023, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 465 Likes on 274 Posts

You are trying to make it too complicated. I have put battery chargers in every boat that I have owned. They are always plugged in when not being used. Any good 2 bank charger will work fine. Mount it where it can be accessed without lifting the hatch (under rear seat) so that if the batteries ever do go down you can still plug it in even if you can't open the hatch. Just mount a GFI receptacle on the pole and use a short extension cord to plug the battery charger in to. No need for a twist lock or anything else.
The following 3 users liked this post by snapmorgan:
getrdunn (10-05-2023), Plowtownmissile (10-11-2023), TomZ (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

What about just hardwiring in one of those small 1.5 amp trickle chargers and leave battery switch on both. Pics below: (just if needed).

Your boat doesn’t really move much does it. If you secured a drop cord to underside of dock and just plug charger in? Just wondered if that would be an option or not.

Last edited by getrdunn; 10-05-2023 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:02 AM
Registered

How are you routing it into the boat though? I love to overcomplicate **** its ask my wife LOLOLOL I just don't want a cord snuck under the cover rubbing on the boat and marring up the finish so I was curious how you guys get power off the dock connected to the boat. MY old boat had a rubber RV plug in the side you plug an extension cord right into but it also wasn't on whips so it was tight to the dock where this boat sits a good 4' off the dock.

https://nuwavemarine.com/boat-suppli...rome-426262-1/

Last edited by Joeyboost; 10-05-2023 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
You are trying to make it too complicated. I have put battery chargers in every boat that I have owned. They are always plugged in when not being used. Any good 2 bank charger will work fine. Mount it where it can be accessed without lifting the hatch (under rear seat) so that if the batteries ever do go down you can still plug it in even if you can't open the hatch. Just mount a GFI receptacle on the pole and use a short extension cord to plug the battery charger in to. No need for a twist lock or anything else.
I installed battery AUX posts under the rear seat in case the batts ever went dead I can jump it.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 465 Likes on 274 Posts

Just lay a white rag under the cord and snap the cover over it. It will not mar the white gelcoat. I repeat, there is no reason to install an outlet in the side of the boat or make it complicated in any way. I have been running an extension cord and snapping the cover over them for 20 years with no ill effect.
The following 2 users liked this post by snapmorgan:
Joeyboost (10-06-2023), TexomaPowerboater (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 183 Posts

+1 Never had the luxury of a quick connect onboard charger. I bought a Noco battery tender for like $75 (don't go cheap) and put it on a boat with no battery switches that would always have dead battery and after one week charging boat was charged more than when it was new. They have them with 1,2 and 3 banks too I will definitely get a 2 bank one for the Saber.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 167 Posts

NoCo is my fav:
Amazon Amazon

they also have a 10 amp if you need.
Old 10-05-2023, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Cut the toe out of an old winter sock and zip tie it to the cord where it hangs over the side if it’s a concern. Damm I don’t miss the days of having everything concerning me when it come to my boats. Don’t get me wrong I still take care of my stuff but also why I like my old 12 m so much. It’s damm near is old as me. Lol

ok - I might have 15 years on it!!!
Old 10-05-2023, 04:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 662 Likes on 311 Posts

I like NOCO. I ran the power wire to a covered plug port underneath my rear bench seat....nice and clean, then use an extension cord to go from shore power/dock to the boat.

Last edited by bajaman; 10-05-2023 at 06:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jadento (10-06-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.