Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Exhaust/header gasket problem, material? >

Exhaust/header gasket problem, material?

Notices

Exhaust/header gasket problem, material?

Old 11-05-2023, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Exhaust/header gasket problem, material?

So, My heads are corroded to a point (one cyl. 1) that the normal grey merc / CMI gasket will not cover. I need to make a custom gasket, wider then the standard to seal. I don't have the time to have the head fixed at this time. To bridge the gap but the standard gasket is not wide enough. Where do I get a sheet of high temp exhaust manifold gasket, the grey type? CMO header flange is wide enough to get around the corrosion, just need a wider gasket for now. At least 3" x 24' +-
THX
P
Old 11-05-2023, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 491 Likes on 270 Posts

we run solid copper ones but if its a iron exaust manifold we never run a gasket just a clean surface and a film of the right stuff by permatex it never fails!
Old 11-05-2023, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 118 Posts

Fel Pro and MrGasket both have the material available in sheets. I think Fel Pro might even have a "cut to size" gasket that is bigger than needed that you can trim.

Mr Gasket 5961 if you can find somebody that has it. Looks like Summit has their own brand available:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-5961

Last edited by BillK; 11-05-2023 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PARADOX (11-06-2023)
Old 11-10-2023, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

In your situation Permatex HI Heat Copper or Red is the solution. It'll also stop the head from getting worse. Smear it on one side and put the manifold in place. The do the other side. I haven't used exhaust gaskets on anything in the last 25yrs after an old timer told me it works.
Old 11-20-2023, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked at Remflex gaskets. Much thicker and compresses. They won’t burn either. Fixed a lot of poor fitting exhaust problems