Notices

Fuel Lines

Old 11-07-2023, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Originally Posted by xlint89
Some of the new fuel hoses are rated for 15% ethanol.
They`re either E85 friendly or they arent.
Every hose is 15% compatible because that`s just regular gas for most of us.
The evils of ethanol are very exegerated.
As a matter of fact I hate marina no ethanol fuel .It`s 90 octane and it burns up blower engines. Ethanol lowers intake temps, you get higher octane and it`s more forgiving .
I fill up on land and only Top Tier fuel.
If I`m forced to get non ethanol I have to treat it with boostane which is not cheap.

The following users liked this post:
articfriends (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 325 Likes on 175 Posts

The USCG fuel hose is super thick walled that I have seen. I was thinking it must be for either fume permeation prevention or give you a few more seconds of protection in the event of a fire. Maybe both?
Old 11-08-2023, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by fbc25el
I think one reason they are not approved is so they don't short out on a hot wire.
I started using the non conductive braided teflon /steel braided hose about 8 years ago, it doesnt abraid and cut your fingers once installed, its not the easiest stuff to work with as coating is pretty rugged BUT works well!
The following 2 users liked this post by articfriends:
87MirageIntruder (11-08-2023), ICDEDPPL (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 11:54 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by fbc25el
I think one reason they are not approved is so they don't short out on a hot wire.
Actually i was told from a coastie a few years back that one of the reasons is most people will run braided line all the way to the tank and the problem with this is electrical grounding. If you look at a stock fuel system....even if they have metal tubing like mercruiser does from the fuel pump to the carb or efi system....there is always a section of rubber fuel line acting as an isolation. If your main ground wire was to fail, then when you go to start the engine, the electrical load will search for a new grounding source.....so if your braided fuel line is now the next best ground for starting and completes the electrical loop....what do you think will happen when you try and run 600amps on that fuel line? POOF and up in flames the boat goes!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Ryan00TJ (11-09-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 1,494 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I started using the non conductive braided teflon /steel braided hose about 8 years ago, it doesnt abraid and cut your fingers once installed, its not the easiest stuff to work with as coating is pretty rugged BUT works well!
Thats what I ended up with and you’re right. It can be a bit of a fight so to speak but it’s nice. When I first used it I swore my fittings or hose was off like (1/2 AN)

Way less cat whiskers poking fingers!
Old 11-08-2023, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,411 Posts

KOOL tools is a must for making AN lines.
I replaced all my lines with Mr Gasket E85 compatible .

https://www.holley.com/brands/mr_gas..._braided_hose/
the deep (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Wally
Actually i was told from a coastie a few years back that one of the reasons is most people will run braided line all the way to the tank and the problem with this is electrical grounding. If you look at a stock fuel system....even if they have metal tubing like mercruiser does from the fuel pump to the carb or efi system....there is always a section of rubber fuel line acting as an isolation. If your main ground wire was to fail, then when you go to start the engine, the electrical load will search for a new grounding source.....so if your braided fuel line is now the next best ground for starting and completes the electrical loop....what do you think will happen when you try and run 600amps on that fuel line? POOF and up in flames the boat goes!
Heard a similar story abt someones clutch cable that kept breaking. Found eng ground was loose and clutch cable was the next best source for ground. It happens.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:22 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,331 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Heard a similar story abt someones clutch cable that kept breaking. Found eng ground was loose and clutch cable was the next best source for ground. It happens.
A ‘race’ car of mine was arching from braided line next to fuel regulator and arching to the firewall. I was lucky !
The following 2 users liked this post by SB:
articfriends (11-09-2023), zz28zz (11-09-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 452 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
KOOL tools is a must for making AN lines.
I replaced all my lines with Mr Gasket E85 compatible .

https://www.holley.com/brands/mr_gas..._braided_hose/
I question how good that hose is with e85. The manufactrer rates it 3 out if 5 stars for e85??

Curious if you smell gas fumes when stored inside?

I forget what hose I used (black nylon braid) but it leaches fumes. Very annoying. Only hose I will buy going forward will be ptfe lined.
Old 11-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 311 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MirageIntruder
The USCG fuel hose is super thick walled that I have seen. I was thinking it must be for either fume permeation prevention or give you a few more seconds of protection in the event of a fire. Maybe both?
The inner lining of the hose determines it's permeability. The extra wall thickness is how it gets it's A1 fire rating.
The regulations say it must survive 2 1/2 mins of exposure to flame. If the flames haven't been extinguished after 2 1/2 mins of a gasoline fire, you've probably already lost the boat. Also part of the testing requirements say the hose must be exposed to a surface temp of ~1200 degs F within 1 inch of the hose during the flame test.

https://newboatbuilders.com/pages/33CFR_Fuel.html

87MirageIntruder (11-13-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.