Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
LS Engines Maybe the future of I/O's >

LS Engines Maybe the future of I/O's

Notices

LS Engines Maybe the future of I/O's

Old 02-21-2024, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We have horizontal heat exchanger. https://www.mrcool.us/78094-mercruis...exchanger.html We are expecting a storm in next few days and next week when the weather calms down we will start it for 30 minutes to made first oil exchange before we put it in the boat. I'll take some pictures then and put them on the forum. The exhaust system is the same as by the Kodiak engines and is raw-seawater cooled. The exchanger is only for the engine. We also have echangers for oil and for ZF gearboxes.
I don't know, maybe the exchanger is a little small, but for me the main goal is to cruise at 50-55 mph, which is what the whole boat is designed for. The end speed is not overly interesting to me, and if it gets a little hot at full throttle, it will, because we won't drive it there (OK...). It will mainly be a fast cruise boat for a few days' trips along the small Adriatic-Croatian side.

Perhaps this too;
Because of the ZF, the engine is a little off the transom and we used this small distance to extend the exhaust pipes by 350 mm. I hope that with this intervention we have completely prevented from reversing.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the added input. Definitly would love to see pictures. Cooling just the engine makes sence. Love to see how you plumb it all out.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In fact we do it together with my brother and our conclusion is that the engine room heats up too much if you also cool the exhaust system with a heat exchanger. I don't know what aluminum will say in the encounter with sea water, but on the other hand, all outboards are aluminum and they won't get eaten up in one day. Considering the price of the exhaust system, I believe they used a material that is resistant to sea water.

We went into this project because we like this challenge and because I resist using a more than half century-old design in BB. The LS isn't something modern either, but it's a bit more modern, and it's not made like old cube of cast iron.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like modern too. I really like the weight reduction and fuel economy! I would like to do some poker runs in my 30 foot Sutphen. It would need to stay cool on longer runs. I dont need big power and only looking to have a pair of 500 HP's. Ive seen what some guys have done and I dont want it to look sloppy in the bilge. I want something clean looking as well.
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 5,043 Likes on 1,422 Posts
Talking

Looks like Lake Boat the OP tapped out
Old 02-21-2024, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by diesel4429
That's a very pretty motor! What are your plans for cooling that? I know CP makes the closed cooling setup but what are options other than the CP set up? Im sure it works great but im not a fan of how it looks hanging off the side like it does. Just curious what others are doing since its recomended it be a closed system.

It is getting a close cooling system. There is to much $$$ in this LS to run raw water through it. The boat will only see lake water so corrosion is not as much a concern as sea water. I was looking for cupernickel cores but they are all but nonexistent these days. Even Whipple is not having them made anymore, that is directly from Dustin there. They are using Aluminum cores now. Maybe Anodized or maybe now, someone may know on here.

BBC aluminum heads have to be welded up or replaced every few years when running sea water cooling. I have a few sets in the shop being welded now for another project. These LS heads would be the same after a few years.
I am using an aluminum intercooler core for engine cooling. It has the close spacing on the fins for better heat transfer. It was that or Stainless but heat transfer is greater for Aluminum. The way I am building this cooler the core can be changed out by just unbolting the core and putting in a spare core that it on the shelf. The reason for doing it in the first place is there is no or maybe one choice for a closed cooling system for a 1300hp engine.

The photo show the core with the fittings on the glycol engine side. The fined side will have the lake water flowing through it. The aluminum plated are for sealing off that side and having the fittings for raw water to the sea pump and strainer.

ICDEDPPL (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Sorry guys BBC in a boat hands down years of use no issues
Old 02-22-2024, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 105Fountain
Sorry guys BBC in a boat hands down years of use no issues

I used to have a phone landline, pay bills with a check, have Cash in my wallet, a retirement fund. Have and had BBC's. But why change now? The OB's are the thing to get now and way more $$$ than a I/O offering, Where are all the new BBC's in new boats?
Bringing up the Future Not the Past in boating I/O power is all.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,354 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by LakeBoat4
I used to have a phone landline, pay bills with a check, have Cash in my wallet, a retirement fund. Have and had BBC's. But why change now? The OB's are the thing to get now and way more $$$ than a I/O offering, Where are all the new BBC's in new boats?
Bringing up the Future Not the Past in boating I/O power is all.
LakeBoat,

The cell phone serves the exact same function as a landline, plus a bazzilion others, with fewer restrictions than benefits over landlines. Personally, I still pay many of my (business) bills with checks, keep cash in my wallet and have a retirement account. Change for improvement's sake is awesome. Change for change's sake is pointless and often detrimental. That said, I think what you're striving for is really cool (beautiful engines, BTW), and hope to see it work out. So far, what I've seen out of LSs vs BBCs is the LS is running with its tongue hanging out while the BBC is just hitting its stride. On the road, with the presence of gears, the LS is a no-brainer. Higher RPMS to get to speed, higher gearing to reduce RPM and maintain speed under minimal load. On the water, we are never not under load (not to suggest you don't already know this). In a marine application, keeping it on the firewall for extended periods seems to be the Achille's heel, given the myriad of efforts made, pretty much specific to marine applications, to keep them from scattering or melting down while doing so. So, I'll ask again... What all makes an LS an LS? What is keeping somebody with the wherewithal from building a 565ci LS? Why not meld the benefits of the LS platform, whatever they may be, with the proven "No replacement for displacement" idiom of the BBC? Is there something in the physical architecture prohibiting this? I genuinely don't know. I've asked, and nobody has given me a real answer; here or elsewhere.

Thanks. Brad.
Tartilla (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 1,477 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
of the BBC? Is there something in the physical architecture prohibiting this? I genuinely don't know. I've asked, and nobody has given me a real answer; here or elsewhere.

Thanks. Brad.
I'll take that one. Simply there is NO reason for it in the automotive world. They have gear boxes (My truck has 10).

Need big TQ, Diesel.

The boat world and performance boat world is way too low of volume for anybody to spend the development money. The development money as I have said before has went to outboards.

So answer this, why do you think they design new clean sheet outboards if its all the same?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.