Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
LS Engines Maybe the future of I/O's >

LS Engines Maybe the future of I/O's

Notices

LS Engines Maybe the future of I/O's

Old 02-22-2024, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe the Godzilla motor will end up being a nice tweener here; definitely a big iron block with a few nice touches and updates. I am surprised we haven't seen a marinized version yet. From what I have seen, 600+ HP is done cheaply and easily..
Old 02-22-2024, 12:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,213 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I'll take that one. Simply there is NO reason for it in the automotive world. They have gear boxes (My truck has 10).

Need big TQ, Diesel.

The boat world and performance boat world is way too low of volume for anybody to spend the development money. The development money as I have said before has went to outboards.

So answer this, why do you think they design new clean sheet outboards if its all the same?
Wildman,

Consumer appetite is always the driver, isn't it?

Let me ask a more appropriate question:

What's keeping someone from building a LS/Dart BigM Frankenstein? That's what I mean by the "physical architecture" of the LS platform.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 1,453 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidlounge
Maybe the Godzilla motor will end up being a nice tweener here; definitely a big iron block with a few nice touches and updates. I am surprised we haven't seen a marinized version yet. From what I have seen, 600+ HP is done cheaply and easily..
I know Ford racing sells them for the car world aftermarket, it may be a chance.

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Wildman,

What's keeping someone from building a LS/Dart BigM Frankenstein? That's what I mean by the "physical architecture" of the LS platform.

Thanks. Brad.
It's all about Volume, the marine performance I/O market is tiny. Keep in mind I come from the suppler side of things, small volume is hard to make money on unless the margins are huge. Other then Sonny's motors almost all the aftermarket stuff is based off of OEM motors.

Read this thread, even the LS/LT with a ton of aftermarket auto support, when it comes to marine its expensive to do one.

Likely the reason IIMOR/Marine Power and Kodak are all using the base marine long blocks GM spent the design time and money on.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

I have to do some more research, but I think a good blend of the two (BBC/LS) could be a package using the new GMPP RS-X heads, They look to have more in common with the LS7 12* head than a big block head.

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...cylinder-heads

Last edited by Precision; 02-22-2024 at 01:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Precision:
hogie roll (02-22-2024), Wildman_grafix (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 01:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
I know Ford racing sells them for the car world aftermarket, it may be a chance.

It's all about Volume, the marine performance I/O market is tiny. Keep in mind I come from the suppler side of things, small volume is hard to make money on unless the margins are huge. Other then Sonny's motors almost all the aftermarket stuff is based off of OEM motors.

Read this thread, even the LS/LT with a ton of aftermarket auto support, when it comes to marine its expensive to do one.

Likely the reason IIMOR/Marine Power and Kodak are all using the base marine long blocks GM spent the design time and money on.
Wildman,

I'm still not getting my question out right, I guess....

What is to stop ME, money aside, from building a 565ci LS, starting with a Dart BigM block? I'm not talking about a business venture. I'm talking about starting with gathering up a benchtop full of parts and a readily available block big enough to house 565ci of displacement, and building an LS?

In short.... What makes an LS and LS?

Thanks. Brad.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 1,453 Likes on 808 Posts

Wildman,

I'm still not getting my question out right, I guess....

What is to stop ME, money aside, from building a 565ci LS, starting with a Dart BigM block? I'm not talking about a business venture. I'm talking about starting with gathering up a benchtop full of parts and a readily available block big enough to house 565ci of displacement, and building an LS?

Thanks. Brad.
Ok I see what you are saying, I would need to research but I think the LS builders on here can give you all the detailed differences. And to tell you the truth I would like to know more, maybe tonight I'll start doing this.

It's been a while since I kept that close of detail on engine designs and when I did most were sport bikes. On those it normally would have been easier to say what is the same, because they will change ton of things to squeeze out the last little bit of HP or shave a 1/2 pound.

Old 02-22-2024, 01:30 PM
BEACH PARTY
Platinum Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 725 Posts

Wildman,

Thanks. Brad.
Isn't that kind of what GM did with the 8.1 that's now living on via PSI?

The following 2 users liked this post by TomZ:
articfriends (02-23-2024), Wildman_grafix (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

For me it's all in cylinder head and intake design. That's why i mentioned the RS-X head. Use of the head, 50MM cam core, and a crankshaft with a 2.100 pin (IDK why you would go that route) you could have a big block LS.
The following 2 users liked this post by Precision:
105Fountain (02-22-2024), Twin O/B Sonic (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

My boats are old keeping them! But now outboards are future no question! Now back to small blocks Donzi put them in the 28' way back when not the best? At that time old 29' Fountain did a many poker runs 2x454 mags 120 mile runs ! Now that new Donzi 2x350 small blocks never completed 1 towed him back! So case closed boats are not the same? The big blocks work well under load. At the track small blocks hit 8000 RPM back then Big block L 88 maybe 6000rpm cars I could see small blocks
Old 02-22-2024, 02:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TomZ
Isn't that kind of what GM did with the 8.1 that's now living on via PSI?
Tom,

See.... This is why I was asking. I had always though the 496 was essentially a BB/LS. I didn't KNOW for sure, but it was always in the back of my mind.

Originally Posted by Precision
For me it's all in cylinder head and intake design. That's why i mentioned the RS-X head. Use of the head, 50MM cam core, and a crankshaft with a 2.100 pin (IDK why you would go that route) you could have a big block LS.
Precision,

Cool. So now, when I get around to building that 565 I will probably never get around to building, I'll know where to start.

Thanks. Brad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.