LS Engines Maybe the future of I/O's >

LS Engines Maybe the future of I/O's

Notices

LS Engines Maybe the future of I/O's

Old 02-07-2024, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 603 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Didn’t know that the block skirting would cause issues.

I thought that was to help stabilize the bottom end.

like the old cross bolted main ford FE.

pretty sure that they also use that type of design on the overhead cam motors and the new 7.3 truck motor.

why is it a issue?
Air can’t move freely around the crankcase as the pistons go up and down. I believe some LS engines are “windowed” for this reason.

It also ends up being narrower near the crank than if you had a big kick out pan. So you could be splashing the crank in oil unless the pan is much deeper.

Last edited by hogie roll; 02-07-2024 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tartilla
At GM the Duramax diesel pretty much sealed the fate of the BBC.

The LS engines have no trouble providing the required HP for the auto/light truck needs.

Total costs for that level of power will definitely contribute to overall LS use. With the big push for high output multiple outboards, we need a good reliable mill to keep the traditional offshore sport going.

M8 Mercury drive can take 1650hp @ $55k

So theres some serious capacity to put the power to the water.

Why not larger superchargers used for LS? 8/71 size etc.

One large factor for me and LS use is the short bore skirts. 4" stroke is an issue. L8T 402CI truck block really helps with that.
3.8L+ Whipples can make more HP on pump gas than any 8/71. Billy boats gave up 10/71s when they couldn’t make more than 1100 on pump gas. Ended up with 4.0L whipples and the fastest poker run/pleasure V bottom ever. I think the high score he set was on higher octane though.
The following users liked this post:
SB (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 10:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Didn’t know that the block skirting would cause issues.

I thought that was to help stabilize the bottom end.

like the old cross bolted main ford FE.

pretty sure that they also use that type of design on the overhead cam motors and the new 7.3 truck motor.

why is it a issue?
They are designed that way for structural rigidity.

I remember seeing that aluminum aftermarket sbc or BBC blocks always gave up power to iron ones.

Maybe the OEMs deep skirted the factory aluminum blocks to fix this?
The following 2 users liked this post by hogie roll:
Hoodoo 2.0 (02-08-2024), SB (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 499 Likes on 273 Posts

this is whats becoming available now making the ls base obsolete, there are many engine guys building billet blocks allowing new wild combos how about this bigblock 960ci with hemi heads? and check out the cam size!
87MirageIntruder (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boostbros
this is whats becoming available now making the ls base obsolete, there are many engine guys building billet blocks allowing new wild combos how about this bigblock 960ci with hemi heads? and check out the cam size! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld6ygrNiHhM&t=370s

Those Sunny Engines are just big and beautiful. Totally getting off track here but way Cool. I looked at them before doing the LS. How much is enough for Power?
The factor there is who is going to work on those engines that has experience with them, No one. There is a base of Tech's to work on the LS at least it has been in production for years in stock form.

On another note: I have a predecessor to the Sunny engine. The builder tried to make a go of a Great New from scratch design. They Sold 12 of these engine and they had issues. The only way to get service was to have a factory Tech fly out to address anything. These were designed as marine engines to begin with with high hopes. The reason I got them is they are way to Cool and Super Rare. They were in a Cig, Rough Rider that could not be sold with them as power. I put one in something, one of maybe 3 that can still fired up and run. What do you think it's in? One was going in the 28 Cat but the Wife said no way so the LS was built.. Not hard to figure where the one went but Crazy just the same. It is what I do. The photos are out of the boat and the other is ready for the install. A lot of work in between.

Back to support, there are options for work of art engines but not many boaters can even change the oil, spark plugs or forbid do a valve adjustment anymore. There has to be service support and parts availability.

No matter what the cost of an engine keeping it running is a big issue.

Last edited by LakeBoat4; 02-08-2024 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling
The following 3 users liked this post by LakeBoat4:
87MirageIntruder (02-08-2024), HEMTT (02-08-2024), hogie roll (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 02:45 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 587 Posts

Is'nt that the Torque V-12?

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Twin O/B Sonic (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 1,982 Likes on 785 Posts

How is torque of an LS at lower R’s, where a boat spends most of its time, compared to the BBC?
Old 02-08-2024, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 1,477 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin O/B Sonic
How is torque of an LS at lower R’s, where a boat spends most of its time, compared to the BBC?
NA to NA BBC wins.

I was looking in the 500-600 range, a SC on the LS/LT motor compared to NA BBC.

My question does the newer tech SC LT4 based last longer than a NA BBC. Is the direct injection a lower fuel burn? Can you not have to do top ends at 400ish hours.

I did some curves using my HP500EFI motors, a buddy 525EFI motors and what Kodiac has on the site for the LT4.
Of course the Kodiac curve doesn't give correct factors or anything so it may be this may not.
https://www.kemequipment.com/marine-...#product-title

Our motors where full dress, sea water pumps, alternators, power steering exhaust everything on it as it is in the boat.

Old 02-08-2024, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boostbros
this is whats becoming available now making the ls base obsolete, there are many engine guys building billet blocks allowing new wild combos how about this bigblock 960ci with hemi heads? and check out the cam size! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld6ygrNiHhM&t=370s
Id love to know how fast a boat with Sonny’s Chemis would be. Never seen one.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes these are Torque Engineering V-12's. NA and torque monsters. Back in 2000 1150hp/1150tq on 91. That is whole other topic.

Of course NA to NA, LS vs BBC. The bigger engine will have more torque with less effort. Everything these days is supercharged or turbocharged. Mercury has 1100hp on up turbocharged, the Verado 350 was supercharged for years now back to NA big displacement with 4 more cylinders.

I can say that most all dyno charts start recording at 3500rpm. Even the one for 525's just posted. My LS has 1070 ft/lbs at 3600rpm. Even if it was half that at 1500rpm it would be more than a 525's max torque. What is in question? Is there some issue that is out there that forced induction is taboo or puts more wear on an engine. Guess turbo diesels can't go 1,000,000 miles before rebuild or like 8-10,000 hours in a boat or heavy equipment.

It depends on how the engine is run that determined the top end refresh. I dont know of any engine in even the 5-600hp range that can go 400 hours not even Mercury. Ever the Mercury 525 is recommended for a top end refresh at 200 hours.

If the BBC has such a following that is fine. I just wanted to show there is a newer alternative and is going to grow in popularity with New Tech. It may not be this year or next but it is the way of the future for I/O's. The big demand is for Outboards these days with New Technology. Seems the bigger the better and there is a waiting list. There is a fraction of I/O compared to Outboard boats being built in the last 5 years. What is the reason for that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.