Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Is this steering stabilizer waring my Gimbal Ring? >

Is this steering stabilizer waring my Gimbal Ring?

Notices

Is this steering stabilizer waring my Gimbal Ring?

Old 06-04-2024, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Is this steering stabilizer waring my Gimbal Ring?

(crap tried to edit title wearing)
I installed these when I upgraded my power to 625 on a Force 235. This was done instead of full hydraulic steering. They are passive, each arm dampens motion in both directions. The theory is that if you chucked a PS steering belt the drive would not change direction extremely fast. There is a fair bit of resistance to turning the drive with engine off but the PS pump easily overcomes that at all speeds. I removed the blower and no longer have concerns of tossing a belt at 80 plus.

Just looking at this and thinking of where the steering cable connects on the inside, leverage and force, etc. it seems that the resistance the rams provide would lead to some side loading of the gimbal ring pivot points. My Gimbal Ring has some wear since it was last replaced, more than I thought in 3 or 4 hundred hours. Are these stabilizer rams contributing to wear or is the force they provide negligible compared to other forces? I got these in the swap shop maybe 20 years ago. Has anyone seen a setup like this before?

Last edited by BadDog; 06-04-2024 at 07:10 AM.