272 Baja Fuel Fill grounding >

272 Baja Fuel Fill grounding

Notices

272 Baja Fuel Fill grounding

Old 06-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 272 Baja Fuel Fill grounding

I recently had a survey done on my 1996 272 Baja and the fellow who completed the survey told me the resistance at the fuel filler was 167 Ohms when the tolerance is less that 1 Ohm. He suggested accessing the fuel filler to determine if the wire had broken off the filler or if there was one there at all. Can someone please tell me the best way to access the fuel fill to see if in fact the wire is still there and is possibly just corroded and is no longer carrying current?
Thanks in advance
Old 06-09-2024, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well you would just have to look to see if a panel can be removed to get at it. As you are asking I suspect it is not easily done. Would it be possible to disconnect fuel hose at tank and unscrew (from outside) the fuel fill allowing some slack? This may allow you to get to the backside of the fuel fill hole and or snake a new wire down to tank.

Are we taking it at the surveyor's word that you do in fact have a bad ground, have you verified? Can you replicate the reading? If so try grounding the tank to the engine ground and re-retest as it is a continuous electrical path from filler to tank to engine ground. Aluminum tank with a ground fitting could be funky, find it and clean? Can you measure discretely from filler nozzle to tank and then tank to engine? I think the better possibility is that some portion of that path has never been there unless it is part of QC before the boat shipped.
Old 06-09-2024, 05:20 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 655 Likes on 309 Posts

It would be a m'fer bear to access the fuel fill hose...major panel/binnacle removal hell.
Old 06-10-2024, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 474 Likes on 275 Posts

Take your time, I'm sure you could knock it out over the weekend.
Old 06-10-2024, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 491 Likes on 270 Posts

good call on the surveyors part ! also change fuel fill hose if over 10 years old we just found a split in half one on a beautiful tierra they recommend changing every 10 years i think its the law in Michigan?
Old 06-10-2024, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your response BadDog. We managed to get the inspection panel open through the gunwale but we couldn't get the clamps undone because the screws were turned the wrong way, facing away from us. There isn't very much room in there so we were hoping to get in through the cabin. With a little blue air and a smaller person and a small open end wrench we managed to get the clamps loose enough to turn them to get them removed. The bonding wire is on the filler neck but is badly corroded, so it should be an easy fix from here once we clean up the connection.
Once again, thanks for your response, much appreciated!!!
The following users liked this post:
BajaDan (06-13-2024)