Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Loose steering vs gimbal ring worn >

Loose steering vs gimbal ring worn

Notices

Loose steering vs gimbal ring worn

Old 06-14-2024, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 308 Likes on 188 Posts

Sounds like your gimble ring is worn where the top pin (swivel shaft) mates-up with it (the square hole) allowing for side-to-side slop. Common issue on older boats w/o external steering. It's steel against alum and alum always looses.

Check out these guys. I've used them as many others here have and everyone is happy. If you have questions, give them a call and they will answer them better than pretty much anybody and won't try to up-sell you anything you don't need.

https://www.jrmarine.com/Default.htm

Last edited by zz28zz; 06-14-2024 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Sounds like your gimble ring is worn where the top pin (swivel shaft) mates-up with it (the square hole) allowing for side-to-side slop. Common issue on older boats w/o external steering. It's steel against alum and alum always looses.

Check out these guys. I've used them as many others here have and everyone is happy. If you have questions, give them a call and they will answer them better than pretty much anybody and won't try to up-sell you anything you don't need.

https://www.jrmarine.com/Default.htm
I normally look for the cheapest fix but with all the parts and so on that could end up going I’m going to go with a full transom assembly from SEI marine. I can’t do the work myself so I’m going to get hit with a labor bill regardless. Quoted $1500 for labor and $2200 for the transom assembly… I don’t like it but I think I’m gonna keep the boat for a long time, it’s rare and the layout is great, speed is great and I’m happy with it (minus the steering which is all gimbal related). Thanks for the link but I’ll place an order for the assembly, it’s on back order so I gotta get it in soon.
Old 06-15-2024, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 171 Likes on 106 Posts

Check with JRMARINE, they may very well have a complete assembly on hand. Most likely you only need the gimble ring, which they should also have on hand. The rest of the assembly really has no known wear points. JRs prices are usually in line with everyone else and sometimes much better.
The following users liked this post:
zz28zz (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty275
Check with JRMARINE, they may very well have a complete assembly on hand. Most likely you only need the gimble ring, which they should also have on hand. The rest of the assembly really has no known wear points. JRs prices are usually in line with everyone else and sometimes much better.
Checked out their distributors and found nothing worth buying. SEI marine makes an unmatched new aftermarket transom assembly.
Old 07-12-2024, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much side to side play did you have?