Loose steering vs gimbal ring worn >

Loose steering vs gimbal ring worn

Notices

Loose steering vs gimbal ring worn

Old 06-07-2024, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loose steering vs gimbal ring worn

I think my gimbal ring is worn and needs to be replaced, but I wanna make sure that it’s that and not the steering. So how do I know it’s not the steering when it comes to the outdrive being able to move back-and-forth by hand without engaging the steering on bravo 1? I can’t see the steering shaft so I can’t see if the gimbal ring is rotating on the shaft or not. The steering arm does not move either.
Old 06-08-2024, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

With drive trimmed up just a bit on trailer you should be able to grab the drive by skeg or the forward portion of gearcase. GIve it a good lift and you can feel the play in the upper and lower swivel. You can't really measure this but that will show the wear on the swivel. The arm that connects to the upper swivel can get loose as well, that is a separate issue but you need to isolate between the two symptoms. Both are wear issues that should be addressed if excessive.
Steering slop- isolate by holding the arm at transom still while checking wheel, it can be the cable or rack at help or swivel connection.
Old 06-08-2024, 09:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BadDog
With drive trimmed up just a bit on trailer you should be able to grab the drive by skeg or the forward portion of gearcase. GIve it a good lift and you can feel the play in the upper and lower swivel. You can't really measure this but that will show the wear on the swivel. The arm that connects to the upper swivel can get loose as well, that is a separate issue but you need to isolate between the two symptoms. Both are wear issues that should be addressed if excessive.
Steering slop- isolate by holding the arm at transom still while checking wheel, it can be the cable or rack at help or swivel connection.
I’ve watched the steering arm as I moved the outdrive back and forth and it didn’t move… so you’re saying hang onto the steering arm while someone turns the wheel to find slop if it’s there?
Old 06-08-2024, 05:10 PM
Registered

Well it seems you've already isolated it. If the arm #14, that extends through the transom is not moving yet the drive moves side to side then it would be that connection that is worn. Still possible that you have a worn rack at the helm which is easily addressed in comparison.
Reference this drawing-
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/brav...-thru-0m100000
item 1, 12 and 14. Pin 12 can wallow out 1. Trying to do this from phone but you can search worn gimbal for more detail. It really comes down to that you need to compare it to a few other boats and decide whether or not it's safe to operate based on the degree of movement a little slop is somewhat normal on a high hour boat a lot of slop is dangerous. Where in between those two is there a safety margin hard to say. Depends, to a degree, power speed etc. There are other where items between the drive housing and the gambling itself that can be worn but it would not show up as a great deal of motion.
Old 06-08-2024, 06:15 PM
Registered

Well it seems you've already isolated it. If the arm #14, that extends through the transom is not moving yet the drive moves side to side then it would be that connection that is worn. Still possible that you have a worn rack at the helm which is easily addressed in comparison.
Reference this drawing-
item 1, 12 and 14. Pin 12 can wallow out 1. Trying to do this from phone but you can search worn gimbal for more detail. It really comes down to that you need to compare it to a few other boats and decide whether or not it's safe to operate based on the degree of movement a little slop is somewhat normal on a high hour boat a lot of slop is dangerous. Where in between those two is there a safety margin hard to say. Depends, to a degree, power speed etc. There are other where items between the drive housing and the gambling itself that can be worn but it would not show up as a great deal of motion.
So you think it’s the gimbal ring then. Imo the play in the outdrive isn’t a safety concern for me, it’s a handling problem. The boat handles poorly, so much that I can honestly say it’s not fun to drive. It a stepped hull so you can imagine how much just a little play in the outdrive affects the way the boat handles. I’m trying to diagnose it before I take it to a mechanic because I have limited time and if I run into a difficult decision I want to be ready to give an immediate answer instead of sitting on it and I also don’t want to misdiagnose it and end up with a massive bill for no reason. I feel this way will save me time and money. I did find a brand new SEI complete transom assembly for $2,133 (tax and shipping included). I was quoted $1,000-$1,500 from one shop and $1,500 for labor from another shop… so basically the same.

-I’ll see if I can check the rack but none of this stuff I’m familiar with and with all boat stuff I just learn as I go.
Old 06-08-2024, 07:55 PM
Registered

Reference this drawing-
The swivel pin seems fine, lifting up on the outdrive only moves like 1/16th of an inch… barely anything at all. I only get side to side play.
Old 06-08-2024, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 436 Likes on 259 Posts

Check the arm that goes to the steering. That pin wears also.
Old 06-09-2024, 07:03 AM
Registered

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...30967/1943/170
Please include hull, power, and hours. Take a very close look with an assistant to isolate what is moving and what is not.
There are drive experts on here, the questions below is for the smart guys with more experience in this area-
Is it possible to access bolt #17 and would tightening it perhaps help? If the play is there does the arm wear first and replacing it may correct the issue?
Check torque on nuts #25?
Old 06-14-2024, 09:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by underpsi68
Check the arm that goes to the steering. That pin wears also.
it seems to be moving enough to the point where it’s gotta be the gimbal ring but I didn’t see any movement besides the outdrive when moving it side to side.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:38 AM
Registered

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/...30967/1943/170
Please include hull, power, and hours. Take a very close look with an assistant to isolate what is moving and what is not.
There are drive experts on here, the questions below is for the smart guys with more experience in this area-
Is it possible to access bolt #17 and would tightening it perhaps help? If the play is there does the arm wear first and replacing it may correct the issue?
Check torque on nuts #25?
You can tighten the plate above… I tried that and it didn’t help and on top of that I stripped the bolt. The shaft pin is in good shape, no vertical movement on the outdrive but the side to side is like 3”. I just need someone with experience with this to agree with me so I can place the order for the transom assembly which is a few weeks out back order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.