Mercury Racing 700sci, 1075sci, 1100 QC4V - Risk vs Reward >

Mercury Racing 700sci, 1075sci, 1100 QC4V - Risk vs Reward

Notices

Mercury Racing 700sci, 1075sci, 1100 QC4V - Risk vs Reward

Old 06-19-2024, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Mercury Racing 700sci, 1075sci, 1100 QC4V - Risk vs Reward

I have been a fly on the wall in OSO for many years as a deep V (Nordic Heat, Sunsation, Nordic Flame) power boat enthusiasts/owner and am at a crossroads of which rabbit hole that I want to go down when it comes to my next purchase which right now is being torn between twin Mercury Racing 700sci, 1075sci, or 1100 QC4V. Living on the west coast and doing all my boating mostly on Lake Havasu, and frequently on Lake Mead, and Lake Mohave, I decided to switch and enjoy my boating from the perspective of the high performance cats.

My first cat was a 2005 33' Eliminator Daytona ICC with twin 600sci's and stage 2 - powerful, responsive, and fun, but in my opinion, it had a suction cup type of feel until I hit 90+mph before it would start packing air. which is why I sold it. Before you mention it - no it did not porpoise at any speed.

My current cat is a 2008 32' DCB F32 with twin 710 Ilmors. Great boat, great power package, gets up on plane and packs air quickly, awesome ride throughout all rpm ranges, and very much a set it and go all day long in all conditions. But, I am now looking to get a little more size and power with either a 2010 DCB M35 w/700sci, a 2013 DCB M35 w/1075sci, or a DCB M35 w/1100 QC4V which are relatively close in purchase price. From my research, the M35 w/700sci will do speeds in the mid to high 140's, the M35 w/1075sci will do mid to high 150's, and the M35 w/1100 QC4V will do 160+.

I am personally leaning towards the 700sci because of the least amount of maintenance intervals, rebuild costs, and insurance costs. But I also don't want to prevent myself from having an opportunity to have one of the big dog thrilling performance motors if the overall cost differences aren't too far apart.

I am assuming that I have done my due diligence and researched the objective answers to the below questions, but I would like to see your subjective feedback from all of you self-taught and self-experienced enthusiasts:

1. What is your personal experience with realistic maintenance intervals and costs of these three motors?
2. Besides speed, what is the significant difference between the 1075sci and 1100 QC4V?
3. Have you bought a boat with 1075sci's or 1100 QC4V's, sell them, and install the 700sci with stage 3?
4. What is the risk vs reward between these 3 motors?
Old 06-19-2024, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamallas
I have been a fly on the wall in OSO for many years as a deep V (Nordic Heat, Sunsation, Nordic Flame) power boat enthusiasts/owner and am at a crossroads of which rabbit hole that I want to go down when it comes to my next purchase which right now is being torn between twin Mercury Racing 700sci, 1075sci, or 1100 QC4V. Living on the west coast and doing all my boating mostly on Lake Havasu, and frequently on Lake Mead, and Lake Mohave, I decided to switch and enjoy my boating from the perspective of the high performance cats.

My first cat was a 2005 33' Eliminator Daytona ICC with twin 600sci's and stage 2 - powerful, responsive, and fun, but in my opinion, it had a suction cup type of feel until I hit 90+mph before it would start packing air. which is why I sold it. Before you mention it - no it did not porpoise at any speed.

My current cat is a 2008 32' DCB F32 with twin 710 Ilmors. Great boat, great power package, gets up on plane and packs air quickly, awesome ride throughout all rpm ranges, and very much a set it and go all day long in all conditions. But, I am now looking to get a little more size and power with either a 2010 DCB M35 w/700sci, a 2013 DCB M35 w/1075sci, or a DCB M35 w/1100 QC4V which are relatively close in purchase price. From my research, the M35 w/700sci will do speeds in the mid to high 140's, the M35 w/1075sci will do mid to high 150's, and the M35 w/1100 QC4V will do 160+.

I am personally leaning towards the 700sci because of the least amount of maintenance intervals, rebuild costs, and insurance costs. But I also don't want to prevent myself from having an opportunity to have one of the big dog thrilling performance motors if the overall cost differences aren't too far apart.

I am assuming that I have done my due diligence and researched the objective answers to the below questions, but I would like to see your subjective feedback from all of you self-taught and self-experienced enthusiasts:

1. What is your personal experience with realistic maintenance intervals and costs of these three motors?
2. Besides speed, what is the significant difference between the 1075sci and 1100 QC4V?
3. Have you bought a boat with 1075sci's or 1100 QC4V's, sell them, and install the 700sci with stage 3?
4. What is the risk vs reward between these 3 motors?
subscribed to read comments !
Old 06-19-2024, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I've had 2 boats with 700 sci's and have good luck with both. With a stage 3 upgrade you should be close to 900 hp. 700's with number 6 drives is a perfect package. Top end maintenance is typically 200-250 hours and at the end of the day it's a 502 big block and parts are reasonable.

1075, I've had two buddy's with them and both were scared all the time of when they were going to go. Maintenance intervals are much sooner and valve lash is supposed to be done every 20 hours. They're very finicky motors with many moving parts and sometimes struggle to idle right. When they're right they are a beast of a motor

1100, I've never had them but are an amazing engine. Light years ahead in technology compared to the 1075, they idle and shift like a small block. Downside is rebuild costs, every part inside is a mercury part so do your homework on what it would cost to rebuild them. If you notice, a lot of 1100 boats are always for sale when they're do for rebuilds which is around 250 hours.

700 cheapest but slowest
1075 lots of maintenance but very strong
1100 very strong but very expensive

pick your poison
The following 2 users liked this post by jbraun2828:
87MirageIntruder (06-19-2024), Plowtownmissile (06-21-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 312 Likes on 164 Posts

I'd go with the 700s but that's because I do my own work to keep costs somewhat manageable. 1075 and higher you're talking some pretty significant maintenance costs vs the lesser engines. Don't get me wrong their awesome engines but I like it when someone else owns them!

BTW, good to see you at Desert Storm! Wayne H
The following users liked this post:
Revd Up (06-28-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 05:24 PM
Registered

jbraun2828, I appreciate your feedback. I really like all of the positives of all 3 motors. A friend of mine who has the 1075's did mention that there are a lot of sensors that set off alarms that require troubleshooting, replacing/resetting, and labor. So when you say that "They're very finicky motors with many moving parts", I would have to agree. Also, I was told that upper rebuilds on the 1075s could be done for $15k each. On the rebuilds for the 1100s, I've read that they need to be rebuilt at Mercury at 200 hours at $80k each. But, I 've also read in threads that you don't have to rebuild at Mercury and could save substantially - but I would be worried about them being rebuilt with inferior parts.
Old 06-19-2024, 05:32 PM
Registered

Wayne! What's up buddy! It was great seeing you and my old boat. I didn't find you to get my ride since you modified the heck out that thing. I will be out again this weekend. I agree with the 700's theory and someone else owning the other big motors, but I just want to be sure that I am not missing any details, opportunities, or perspectives before I pull the trigger. I am ready to hold onto my next boat for more than a couple of years. LOL
The following users liked this post:
87MirageIntruder (06-20-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 280 Likes on 99 Posts

That's a tough one!!!

I think the 700s have an inflated perception of reliability. Partially due to the fact that they are bought brand new VS custom power, which are usually rebuilt/upgraded used engines with some used parts left, max power build for minimal cost. So of course 100% brand new engines will last longer but once they start breaking down it's like any other performance engine. I would agree 250hrs top ends and 500hrs full rebuilds. If you turn them up reliability goes down, and if not maintained or rebuilt fully and properly the reliability will go down. Still great engines but sorta boring.

Have you looked into a reputable engine builder like Teague freshening the 1075s and upgrading the build recipe to make them more reliable. Once that's done they seem to be pretty sweet packages. I like that you can customize them a little and make them your own. You won't get bored with these!

Obviously the turbo motors are badass!!! Almost boring though since everyone has them. Maintenance cost is high but partially cause they get rebuilt and freshened properly without cutting corners, where as the other 2 seem cut corners on rebuilds more often.

Good luck with your tough, but fun decision!
Old 06-19-2024, 11:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
That's a tough one!!!

I think the 700s have an inflated perception of reliability. Partially due to the fact that they are bought brand new VS custom power, which are usually rebuilt/upgraded used engines with some used parts left, max power build for minimal cost. So of course 100% brand new engines will last longer but once they start breaking down it's like any other performance engine. I would agree 250hrs top ends and 500hrs full rebuilds. If you turn them up reliability goes down, and if not maintained or rebuilt fully and properly the reliability will go down. Still great engines but sorta boring.

Have you looked into a reputable engine builder like Teague freshening the 1075s and upgrading the build recipe to make them more reliable. Once that's done they seem to be pretty sweet packages. I like that you can customize them a little and make them your own. You won't get bored with these!

Obviously the turbo motors are badass!!! Almost boring though since everyone has them. Maintenance cost is high but partially cause they get rebuilt and freshened properly without cutting corners, where as the other 2 seem cut corners on rebuilds more often.

Good luck with your tough, but fun decision!

Offshoreexcursion, I appreciate your response and perspective, especially about the 1075. The 2012 with the 1075s was actually recently rebuilt by Teague. Are you the boat owner or associated with that boat and rebuild? 😉 My friend that has an M35 with 1075s as the second owner, had some new owner speed bumps to overcome as he was getting used to the setup of the motors, transmissions, and props. But, now that he is dialed in, he loves it. But he did mention that his 1075s were reprogrammed and dialed in as a custom build like you mentioned, to almost 1300hp and that the smaller moving parts and sensors once in a while will need replacement due to the massive hp being produced. If I went with the 1075s, I would be leaving them as is. Up to this point in my life, 140mph is plenty for me.

The 1100s - my true intention is to sell them with their 125 hours, and then purchase and install 700s w/stage 3s. But no doubt, an 1100 boat is so badass to see when they cruise by with that massive wall of a rooster tail!
Old 06-20-2024, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 429 Likes on 260 Posts

What drives are on the boats? That would be more of a deciding factor than which engines are in them. A 700 with #6's would be a sweet setup for trouble free boating. If money is no object, then the 1100 with 6's or 8's would be my choice.
Old 06-20-2024, 07:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
What drives are on the boats? That would be more of a deciding factor than which engines are in them. A 700 with #6's would be a sweet setup for trouble free boating. If money is no object, then the 1100 with 6's or 8's would be my choice.

Snapmorgan, the 700 boat has NXT drives with drive guradians, and the 1075 and 1100 boats have #6s. For me money is always a factor, but sometimes depending on the costs required for issues, my risk vs reward concept varies. Sometimes I can be my worst enemy and talk myself into anything if I don't evaluate a realistic risk vs reward scenario. Thank you for the response.

Last edited by Adamallas; 06-20-2024 at 08:03 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.