what boat do you have ? plenty of room under the engine to access
Old 06-26-2024, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

01 29 Fountain Fever
Old 06-27-2024, 05:12 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a crap shoot for sure sourcing replacement parts for Merc PN. There are plenty of knockoff parts of varying quality. I went through this a while back and found several post referencing that Merc's supplier for the OEM 861156A1 was Airtex E11004, there were some variants of that PN for an Airtex PN or retail PN. Also ending with perhaps a 3 one designating threaded or not. I also discovered that Mallory 9-35433 is to be a replacement as well but it may have come from Airtex. Regardless a search turns up that Amazon, Summit as well as a few others stocked those in the past but no more. Perhaps it was just a PN change? You may want to start with a call to Airtex and see if you can reach someone knowledgeable on the original PN and if they still have one with the same functional specs etc.

This site lists a replacement for some of the listed PN that are NLA and states some nice verbiage indicating that it has some Japan internals, I would trust this more than an Amazon direct China replacement.
https://www.fuelpumpfactory.com/prod...hoCp8QQAvD_BwE
We do know that Merc does not make this pump, it is sourced by some other vendor, who that is a mystery. If you can't find this anymore I would guess that Sierra PN could be a little better but I who knows. Sierra may at least make and attempt at a better China made part.
Their contact info, I notice on the link below to the Ebay site for other option that the name is similar.
CONTACT USFuel pump factory

1680 West Winton Ave Ste 3, Hayward, Ca 94545

Email: [email protected]

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9.00AM -4.30PM PST
Phone # 888-235-6456

Here is a FleaBay link to a Geman made pump that is listed as a direct replacement. Sometimes FleaBay is not bad part but the retailer may simply use them as a storefront instead of maintaining their own. I did find a few references on foreign sites on this search "MTM 447D-600C5" which is the MTM PN.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394217553000
There is a "contact seller" link within the Ebay listing, they may be able to confirm is it truly is German made.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited by BadDog; 06-27-2024 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-27-2024, 05:38 AM
Registered

I found this as well-
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1VedhcGTVS.pdf
Old 06-27-2024, 06:02 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMeaney
Big difference in price there. And it will work for 500 efi? I only saw black models in description. How about any "specialty tools" to do this job? The boat is over an hour away from my house and I like to have everything I need with me so if I do need to go get something, it'll be beer 🍺
Yes, 500 EFI from a 2003 Cigarette. Pump was not that difficult to access in my boat, just need to pull brackets off water pump and fuel lines and cool fuel system comes right out. The pump I got off amazon looks identical to what the OEM was, has worked for me the last 140 hours of running with no issues. Maybe i got lucky
Old 06-27-2024, 07:42 AM
Registered

wieland177, my experience with China parts that are anything more complicated than a solid piece of metal is that some work, some don't, some fail right away and others go for awhile. It likely is a QC problem and stacking of tolerances in manufacturing. Not all China parts are bad. They certainly have access to good machine tools and such. It simply is a matter of the specifications adhered to during manufacturing.

Almost all high end server class computer components come out of China as well as knockoff PC's and parts. Very different manufacturing process. Much like say an AC Delco part that does XYZ function and a similar function XYZ part that is manufactured for use in an FAA-regulated aircraft. Cost and quality are different in both but the function of the part is the same. I have always carried a spare fuel pump as it was easy enough to change.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,160 Likes on 1,406 Posts

will it not turn on ? what test did you do to determine its bad
Old 06-27-2024, 06:40 PM
Registered

I was nearing the end of a no wake zone going against an outgoing tide, so I gave her a little more throttle to get to the end quicker and she stumbled a little. No skip just a stumble then normal. After the no wake zone I was taking off and it seemed to struggle a bit to get the bow down, but no stumble or skip. Once she laid down and I raised the tabs, everything was normal. I got to the dock. Unloaded all my wife's crap, and went ti flush the engine before she went back in the rack. The engine ran for like 5 seconds "like crap" then stalled. Now when I turn the key on, the pump doesn't kick on.
Old 06-27-2024, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,160 Likes on 1,406 Posts

have you checked the fuses on the harness, one is for the fuel pump
Old 06-27-2024, 09:06 PM
Registered

I didn't check anything that night. Needless to say, I was a little pissed at the time and needed to get home. I wouldn't think a fuse because of the stumble and the power loss while taking off. Plus, the engine ran for another 15 minutes after the stumble and power loss condition. I'm thinking the pump was crapping out which caused the stumble and power problem. I ordered a new pump and regulator and will troubleshoot it further and see how bad a job it's gonna be this Sunday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.